This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RESP and CS during College/Univ

Does the courts take into account RESP's when the look at CS during post secondary education?

Me and the Ex have been contributing into RESP's for the kids since they were born. When they are ready to go to college or Univ they will have about 30,000-35,000 each.

So does the courts take this money into account? I am not up to paying CS while they go through their post secondary education especially since they will have a good amount to get them started.

If I am on the bill, (I better not be) then what is an exact cut off time?

I am not up to paying CS while they go through their post secondary education especially since they will have a good amount to get them started.
    Man are YOU in for a surprise....post secondary is considered a section 7 expense and is TOTALLY separate from CS. You will most likely be made to pay CS until the completion of the first post secondary degree in addition to a pro rata share of the post secondary expenses.

In regards to your specific question:

Yes, the courts look at RESP contributions. Typically the formula used is Post secondary cost - available funding (ie. RESP's, Bursaries, grants).

IF there is a remaining balance after applying that formula...1/3 of the remainder is the child's responsibility to cover, either via student loans, savings, part time work, etc. The other 2/3's is split proportionate to income between you and the ex, as with ANY section 7 expense.

Comment

That is horse Sh!t pardon my language. If I was still with my ex I wouldn't support them through there college. They would get a job and learn that the world isnt free.

Yet the courts now deem it necesary that I am made to pay for something I never would have if I was still with the ex? Horse Shit!

Comment

They will screw you to the wall!

Comment

Unfortunately the "best interests of the children" check would apply in these kinds of cases, so it doesn't always follow the same thing as would occur.

What you CAN try and do is to offer to have CS sent directly to the child as your contribution towards their education. The argument is always going to be that you knew that the kid may eventually want to go to post secondary, so you should have been preparing for it.

If you contribute sufficient amounts to the RESP and you look at that formula, you wind up contributing next to nothing if the RESP hold sufficient value.

And any parent is going to do their best to help and support their child, even if it's not through monetary means. Even if it's allowing the kid to continue living in the house while they attend, that's still a cost (to feed/cloth them, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
            Unfortunately the "best interests of the children" check would apply in these kinds of cases, so it doesn't always follow the same thing as would occur.

What you CAN try and do is to offer to have CS sent directly to the child as your contribution towards their education. The argument is always going to be that you knew that the kid may eventually want to go to post secondary, so you should have been preparing for it.

If you contribute sufficient amounts to the RESP and you look at that formula, you wind up contributing next to nothing if the RESP hold sufficient value.

And any parent is going to do their best to help and support their child, even if it's not through monetary means. Even if it's allowing the kid to continue living in the house while they attend, that's still a cost (to feed/cloth them, etc)
            I agree that parents should do what they can to help their children. However at some point a child isnt a child anymore. The courts should factor in that at 21 they can get part time jobs to cover off alot of their expenses.
            If I were still with the ex, I would have told my child that when they go to university they would need to get a job to cover of their expenses and what not. Somehow I dont think a court in the world would have forced me to pay if this was the case. Yet because I choose to leave a horrible marriage the courts figure I need to feed my children with a golden spoon till there 24ish. This is still HORSESHIT.

Comment

Cashcowforex. I can relate on EVERYTHING your saying. I have a very hard time getting my head around it. Your not alone!

Comment

NB DAD
                So lets say there 1st post secondary isn't finished until they are 25 or 26...only because they didn't start until they were 20.....parents pay until that age???? I'm shocked

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                  The only issue I can see with paying directly to the child is if they are living with the other parent, the parent is paying the costs to maintain a residence for the child so CS should go directly to them. Even if the child is in residence during school months, they still require a home to go to during the rest of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcow4ex View Post
                    If I were still with the ex, I would have told my child that when they go to university they would need to get a job to cover of their expenses and what not.
                    I figure if they are in university, THAT IS THEIR #1 JOB - don't waste the $$s spent on tuition by not doing the needed after-class studying. Sure, summer jobs can help - but at that point they are UNSKILLED labour - not too likely to be raking in much for those 3 months... and ideally they would live at home during the off-term to save money again (which means parents are supporting somewhat).

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                      I figure if they are in university, THAT IS THEIR #1 JOB - don't waste the $$s spent on tuition by not doing the needed after-class studying. Sure, summer jobs can help - but at that point they are UNSKILLED labour - not too likely to be raking in much for those 3 months... and ideally they would live at home during the off-term to save money again (which means parents are supporting somewhat).

I aint buying it. Its called student loans...they get a part time job to cover off their expenses such as cloths, food and party money.

Sorry but when I was going through University I didnt do it with a golden spoon in my mouth. Why does the courts think that my children should just because their damn parents are divorced.

Hey I love my kids so dont get me wrong but at what point does it quit being there "#1 JOB"
                      At some point they need to grow up and be accountable for their own paths they chose to follow.

Comment

The courts aren't there to sort out your arguments about whether you pay for education or not.

If you and your ex can come to an agreement that the kid pays their own way, then the courts will support that.

The courts only step and make you pay if the two of you can't agree. They do this because they don't want to bother listening to arguments over education, they will just come down on the side of the child.

If you don't want to pay, then be friendly, reasonable, have a good relationship with your ex and be an involved parent and explain your reasons and get the ex onside. If you can't do that, the courts don't care what your arguments are.

Comment

Can someone let me know what exactly this means....its in a final court order. It says: This court further orders that this order may be taken out by the respondent (the dad) without the approval of the applicant (the mom), as to form and content.
                          Does anyone know what that means?

Comment

MizzLiz please post your question in a new topic. It has nothing to do with this topic.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                            Working...
                            X