Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens to client file when it's all final?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to client file when it's all final?

Once your lawyer is no longer on retainer and all issues are seemingly final...what happens to your file? Does the lawyer hand it all over to the client?

I know final is never really final...things come up. But there may not be enough reason to pay a lawyer if you can self-rep the minor issues. Should you ask for your full file to keep on hand?

They give you a copy and they keep a copy.

Comment

That's a good question. My file is 2 rolling briefcases large. I was not given a copy of the entire file. I was only given a copy of the final settlement and originals of all the court orders. There were 10 of them. My lawyer said the firm will retain for 7 years. Should I ask for all of it back when 7 years is up? He will most likely charge me and I've already given him more than half my equity.

Comment

What happens to client file when it's all final?

My husband asked for his file from his original lawyer. They said it would be $50 for the storage recovery plus time and shipping.

It all depends on what you need it for. Technically if you have a copy of all of the filed documents then the only thing missing are lawyer notes. You may be able to ask for copies of those but it will cost for recovery time. Ask yourself if that is really necessary. I watched my husbands lawyer this go round and he really only jotted down key info like amounts and what was said.

The files will go into storage for a period of time (depending how much they want to pay since they don’t bill you) and then purged and shredded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had to go self rep several times and have used the same lawyer each time. They give me my entire file downloaded onto a flash drive ( not a paper copy). That’s because it’s 10 years worth of material.
          I had also separated from my ex prior to this final separation and then stupidly reconciled at the time. The lawyer I used then gave me a copy of my paper file as it was not large and only included one court appearance.

With my larger file I prefer the flash drive as they also organized it under headings such as court orders, correspondence to OC, etc. This made it easier to sort through.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X