Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too early to discuss postsecondary contributions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tandem80 View Post
    What is the point in even having an agreement when mother just continues to not follow it and do as she pleases?

Thats exactly what my partner said.

Comment

Such BS! Family law pft

Comment

Originally posted by Tandem80 View Post
        Oldest of our kids is 13. We have had a order for several years and we're negotiating some changes with access, support and section 7 expenses.

I requested I would like in the new order that the children would be responsible for 1/3 of their postsecondary.

My ex says she does not wish to discuss at this time. We've been at this since may and have accumulated thousands of dollars in back and forth lawyer fees.

I feel strongly about the children contributing but at the same time if I push this I worry this will piss her off and all the process made will be for nothing.

Suggestions?

Also her lawyer is sending a draft consent order does this mean we're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel here?

I know I won't be satisfied with everything I requested as it will just revert to our original order...choose my battles?
        Your kids are under 13 years of age. It is too early for them to decide that they will pay 1/3 of their education. And if your ex is against it, nothing you can do right now. What is the rush?

Comment

No rush just wanted to reduce future lawyer fees and see if we could agree to it now. I'm ok to discuss at a later date.

Comment

Do you have to respond to an affidavit

If you have come to an agreement outside of court?

Would it be bad to not defend myself with proof of lies told?

Would it be bad to not have the courts know I disagreed with almost every single statement made?

If an agreement is reached...is it still necessary to respond?

Comment

Do you have to respond to an affidavit

If you have come to an agreement outside of court?

Would it be bad to not defend myself with proof of lies told?

Would it be bad to not have the courts know I disagreed with almost every single statement made?

If an agreement is reached...is it still necessary to respond?

Would like to hang on to as much hope as I can that we can try to have a better co-parenting relationship after we have come to an agreement. My response will certainly not help in that regard BUT it does defend myself against the lies...

Comment

my ex used to submit very lengthy (30 pages) affidavits to court which were riddled with lies and inaccuracies. I recall being outraged. I peppered my lawyer with the same question: should we not respond to each and every allegation? His response was no. You respond to statements which you can refute and provide evidence of which are relative to matter at hand. In Family court it goes without saying that affidavits are full of lies. So, if your ex is lying in her affidavit about something that relates back to your filed court document then you would respond with evidence. Of course it is good to have written records (emails) of things so you can relate to them in the future if they become relative.

Your ex's lies will likely catch up with her some day. Just today my ex and I were in court. Ex's application was dismissed quickly after judge told him "court takes it very seriously when someone lies in court." She went on to quickly point out his lies and then simply said "your application is dismissed." After a 3-month wait for matter to be heard it was over in 10 minutes. Ex lied to judge when judge asked him some simple questions. He was unable to respond correctly to judge as he does not fill out his own court documents (girlfriend does). His verbal response was different from his written sworn affidavit. This has happened to ex before.

Lesson to be learned - know the documents you submit to court, particularly if someone else pens it for you (lawyer, girlfriend).

Sometimes less is more.
                I believe that effective "paraphrasing" is good in most things. For example, if you and your ex have reached an agreement it doesn't hurt to summarize the discussion (assuming it is verbal) and simply send it to her asking her to read and let you know if she disagrees with what the two of you agreed to. It's a good way to keep track of things as they move along.

Comment

Our agreements are going between lawyers so we are going to be filing a consent order.

Comment

I have tons of exhibits (Facebook, emails, texts, charts etc...) and out of 18 paragraphs of hers I disagreed with ALL but the first 4. There is an affidavit in each paragraph of my response that has an exhibit that contradicts what she says.

She has a personal disorder forsure!! Isn't calling out a narcissist or someone that is so high conflict going to make matters worse?

Comment

Nothing is verbal we email only and all agreements have been met with our lawyers being the middleman

Comment

Without knowing all the nitty-gritty details of your situation I can only say that the differences between you are likely why you are not still with this person. You have to ask yourself if being right all the time is worth the paper you defend yourself on or is it just giving fodder to lawyers?

Sometimes you have to just shrug off the wild stuff as it is likely written just to "get even" with you or to get a reaction from you (something like what some people on this forum do to others when they have nothing better to do).

Read the stuff on Tayken's thread posted today about the Ontario justice's view on parenting. Make sure that you don't think that the courts are going to solve all of your disagreements. The two of you are separated and naturally you're not going to agree on many things. Where the challenge will be for you is to figure out how you are going to communicate with one another in the future when you don't have your respective lawyers on retainer. This is a question you might pose to her at some point: How do you think we should solve our issues in the future?

Court doesn't care who hurts whose feelings. Court doesn't care whether your ex is right and you are wrong or vice-versa. Court cares about agreement being executed in legal fashion; spoils of the marriage are distributed lawfully; children are in optimum living environment with education, food/shelter/medical and kept out of bickering parents' disputes.

I think it is excellent that you have come to an out-of-court agreement. Now focus on putting it to bed and carry on with your life.

Comment

And no I don't believe you have to respond to your ex. Garbage in ... garbage out.

Comment

Thanks Arabian! I value your opinions. So it would be safe for me to just not file a response at all since we will be filing a consent order to change our agreement?

Im just worried if I do not respond and later she files another motion (she will) that not responding to this one will jeopardize me in the future. Will a court think that because I did not respond I am agreeing to all her statements about me?

Comment

Or will they chalk it up to we made agreements outside of court and didn't waste their time. Some allegations she made is that I am in arrears (I am not) we have agreed to that and that support will change yearly according to income. Which will be in the consent order so isn't it moot to even respond. Why is this so stressful lol

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                                my ex used to submit very lengthy (30 pages) affidavits to court which were riddled with lies and inaccuracies. .
                                I just got one from my ex 50 pages long. I don't feed the child, i don't bathe the child, I grabbed the child by the neck.. lies through the teeth! My lawyer wants me to respond paragraph by paragraph, whether I agree or not. If I don't agree, then defusing evidence would be a good thing to have. All because I filed a 17 paragraph affidavit for my recent motion, for which the judge basically told her she is going to lose.

sucks.
                                Last edited by trinton; 10-21-2017, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X