X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cctb

asking this question for a friend.

Background divorced 3 kids

in 2013 the kids decided to move back into residence with parent A so they lived with parent b for about 2 months then parent b for the other 10 months. Parent a claimed the kids on their taxes for the 2014 tax year.

Parent a has a signed agreement with parent b that the residence has changed and that parent b will be paying parent a support. It wasn't done through the court and its a 50/50 situation.

Now the fun part. Parent b claimed the kids on their taxes even though they only lived there for two months. Parent a also claimed the kids. Of course it was redflagged and the CCTB was cut off for parent a even though the kids lived with them for 10 months. Parent A received one payment then it was cut off.

After a flurry of papers back and forth proving where the kids residence was CRA refuses to pay parent a the money, stating that parent b already claimed the kids and was being paid the CCTB. Parent a even has a paper signed by parent b stating the kids lived with parent a for 10months of that year.

Any ideas of how to handle this? CRA refuses to pay parent A. Parent a has claimed the kids again as they lived with them for the whole of 2014.

hope that is clear. it gets so confusing but if anyone can help it would be great and if more information is needed I can find that out.

I had a letter from child and family services, a letter from the school, and address from the dentist showing my primary care, and the major one, a court order albeit a shared custody with me being primary care and control and it was an interim court order, but in my similar situation that seemed to get me through the cra audit/denial situation. So if your concerned for next time or even now do what you can and keep bugging them like they bug you, even if you don't have the full amount of info they ask for, explain the situation in a letter though, and maybe they will allow you the claim. I would just quickly at least go get a shared custody with primary care and control court order to help you through these kind of situations for now, that should be a quick easy process if your the primary care giver at this or that time. Especially if the ex can't be bothered to show up for such a case. The tax guys should have no problem giving you the tax credits if you can prove you deserve them. I absolutely despise the tax guys now, I have been audited for one thing or another the last 3 years, or asked to prove stuff, it seems like they reply asking for more or the same info again....I have sent back the exact same info, its like they are required to bug you for more info, but sending back the same previous info still ends up qualifying you...they just want to see if you could be bothered to respond or put up a fight?!?
    Taking primary care of your children is expensive, at least there are some tax benefits to it at the end of the year, even if they are hard to get or far and few. Especially if you have major daycare or full time nanny, as well as the fitness and arts credit. They all add up!

Comment

this isn't for me, its for a friend. They have been sending letter after letter with proof from the school etc that the kids were living with parent a. Parent b even signed a letter stating the kids were with parent a.

Just such a hassle.

Comment

Sadly the CRA is messed up that way. They need all of the papers at once. Sending them in one at a time doesn't work because the next person seeing your file does not know about the other papers.

You can also try reaching out to your MP. Part of their role is supposed to be to help their constituents navigate the beaurocracy.

Comment

Another case of parents putting money before the kids.....anyway, all supporting documents can be uploaded at once vice sending in 1 at a time, through the CRA site to your file.

You get a confirmation #, and they usually get to it in 48rs or less based on my own experience. Well of course you have to scan the documents into pdf and save them on a USB key (which you should be doing anyway if you are the organizing type in proper folders).

Comment

Originally posted by serendipitous View Post
            Another case of parents putting money before the kids.....anyway, all supporting documents can be uploaded at once vice sending in 1 at a time, through the CRA site to your file.

You get a confirmation #, and they usually get to it in 48rs or less based on my own experience. Well of course you have to scan the documents into pdf and save them on a USB key (which you should be doing anyway if you are the organizing type in proper folders).
            where are you getting that someone is putting money before the kids??

My friend isn't scanning anything into the computer. They have the hard copy of the letters in a normal file folder. CRA acknowledged the letter that parent a had the kids and not parent b. They stance seems to be that the already paid parent b.

Did you miss the part about the documents have already been sent to CRA? Your post is not really helpful at all.

Comment

Did you miss the part where I said "your friend" can deal with documents either now or in the future, by scanning to send it electronically to expedite, as opposed to sending in through Canada post?

The two parties are obviously fighting over money, isn't this what this thread is about? Damn right CRA will reassess both of them, and it only becomes more difficult because there is an assumption that the 'mother' is the one that gets the benefits.

Get "your friend" to call the office between the hours of 9am - 11am in order to get hold of a human. This is the best time in case you are wondering why

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
              where are you getting that someone is putting money before the kids??

My friend isn't scanning anything into the computer. They have the hard copy of the letters in a normal file folder. CRA acknowledged the letter that parent a had the kids and not parent b. They stance seems to be that the already paid parent b.

Did you miss the part about the documents have already been sent to CRA? Your post is not really helpful at all.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X