Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 PM

1up is on a distinguished road
Default is it better to be the respondent or the applicant?

I have been separated from my husband since july.He does not want to use lawyers but i do.Would it be better for me to file for divorce or wait for him to?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:39 AM

standing on the sidelines is on a distinguished road

I really do not think it matters unless he starts to drag his feet and doesn't file. Try to work it out between youselves and avoid lawyers. Wouldn't you rather keep any money for yourself then give it to a lawyer??? Ask questions on this site, DO NOT sign anything without really looking it over for loopholes etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:40 AM

susiecanoe is on a distinguished road

May I suggest you try to use a mediation centre to draw up and come to terms with separations issues first. I really would not use lawyers if you can at all avoid it. You could take the final agreement you come to, to a lawyer to read it over, but honestly, a simple divorce can be done without lawyers, less costly, less time consumming and less chance of adversity. Those of us who have been in the family justice know, that it is riddled with adversary. Adversarial lawyers, adversarial applicants, defendants and in some cases judgest too.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM

1up is on a distinguished road

I have considered going to mediation however, i do not think he will agree with my offer plus i don't think he wants to pay alimony and child support.I believe he is hiding money and continues to tell me he's broke but i know he's far from it. I have spoke to women who have not used a lawyer and alot of them got burned and never saw a dime from their ex.I want to protect myself and my children and i feel insecure about not using a lawyer.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM

susiecanoe is on a distinguished road

I stand firm in my first suggestion. Try mediation first. Make a reasonable and I seriously mean reasonable offer to settle. I can assure you that going to a lawyer will cost a lot and likely in the end after it is all said and done, you may win the battle but lose the war.
Closed Thread