Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM

emmalinda is on a distinguished road
Default Final Court Order

Hello Everyone!

I received the final decision from my court trial.

Judge states that I will receive spousal support every month but there was no date as to when it will stop. Does that mean I will be receiving the spousal support 'forever'? We have been married for 18 years.

Also it states that I am the beneficiary for the full face value of the life insurance, how will I know if my ex husband has made the changes to his life insurance, can I ask for proof? Or will I have to go thru court if my ex husband refuses to provide proof (policy)?

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Teenwolf is on a distinguished road

CS doesn't have a specified end date. You'll get it until the child reaches the age of majority. If the child goes to college, you'll get it until the child finishes college. In regard to life insurance, sure, ask him for proof. He has a court order telling him to make you the beneficiary, so you're not doing anything wrong when asking for verification.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM

@teenwolf, My question is about spousal support not Child support.

thank you.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 PM

bigboysdad is on a distinguished road

I think u will get spousal "forever"....
UNLESS/UNTIL the other party makes a deal with u or u let a judge decide.
As for CS,I think that British Columbia Or alberta,that,once the child reaches age of majority,THEY revisit/evaluate the situation,,,,,,?????????????
Anyone know ????
thx
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM

ddol1 is on a distinguished road

for your insurance issue you are able to recieve a verification of a non revokable beneficiary which will be you. Once you have this, have personally confirmed this to be truthful (contact the insurer direct and if you are that worried ask for seperate confirmation from the insurer directly. Once done any change must be brought before you first for your approval. Ask fof the insurer to confirm this in writing for you when you are in step 1 (they will help you and provide you all this info for you upon your request - usually in writing).

SS - I understand 20 years is the point where your SS entitlement could become "term indefinate" (they do not like to use the word permanent) as all support is subject to review if certain conditions arrise. You are 18 wihich is close. Next is the "Rule of 65" in your age plus 18 years of marriage is over 65 then you have again reached a point where the court may go "term indefinate". If I were you I would bring these to your FLIC and have the duty council review the document to answer your question 100%. This I am sure is very impportant for you to fully understand and not have it hang over your head for years to come - so get that solid confirmation that will allow you to "file" your agreement for safe keeping.

Just reread your post- with a court order you could present a certified copy to the insurance company and deal with them direct should your husband refuse to accomodate you and meet your request. You can also file a form (not sure which) with the court to professionally request your ex to follow the court's ruling. The duty council will be there to help you, people are here too, and filing it yourself with not cause you to spend money on a lawyer.

hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 PM

@ddol1 , Thank you for your very informative response.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:39 AM

ddol1 is on a distinguished road

you are much more than welcome - on occasion I read things like this, not much different than my ex who has learned to pull the strings and trys to keep the power by withholding information or not agreeing to anything so there is no moving forward. Then out of necessity I am forced to figure out how to find my own information - in this case with her work benefit providors.

First, after doing the right thing and asking her, many times I am forced to go and find out this information out myself. On several occassions she has just flipped out. (not much different than the other hundred's of times.) Mentioned here before, I admit to the people who I am, why I am calling (vs the ex who should be calling) and out of necessity or desperation of needing the information....... I have never forced them, insisted or anything negative - always give the info, and ask what "they can do to help me" and having never been turned down, actually the opposite, I get much more information than ever I could hope, more leads to follow in other areas, names, numbers to call.........

Ex always asked "how did I do it, they are HER...... and in her mind they have no business talking to me the spouse or stbx. What she has yet to learn that in so many cases the people on the other end of the phone line, or reading the letter I mailed -- they have the desire to do everything they can to ensure they are doing the best they can to do the right thing, or pay the right person or........ It doesn't matter. Be honest and you will find that other people will be, "eager" to help. It doesn't help to have "a story" like mine either....
Closed Thread