Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:00 PM

ChuckCram is on a distinguished road

The Cram vs. Cram case quoted above was accountable to the Divorce Act, which only required child support to be paid until the child reached the age of majority. I was warned, however, that the Family Relations Act could require support to age 23 if the child was still in school, and that a judge would invoke whatever Act he/she felt was warranted in the child's interest, regardless of which Act governed the marital separation.

Ben was smart and an excellent reader, but was young and foolish and didn't want to put out any more effort than was absolutely necessary...he often misjudged that and failed as a result. Nearing his mid-twenties he suddenly abandoned his irresponsible lifestyle to become a career-oriented adult.

The judge in that case easily recognized from Ben's history that no imminent change of behaviour was likely, and ruled against Mrs. Cram. Ben's unrealized potential was no reason to funnel cash into her pocket.

Mrs. Cram's other litigations (she hired counsel for those) met the same end, but the judges always made both parties pay their own costs, so the multi-year ordeal still cost me $25K.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM

mummer1962 is on a distinguished road

My case is an example of supporting a child or young adult in an all inclusive form. The total expenses are talleyed and the payor and cp are both required to contribute based on incomes. The kicker is that the child has to demonstrate that they are serious and succeeding in the program. All monies are paid directly to child and there are requirements that success is demonstrated from semester to semester. My child is diligently doing what she is supposed to in her studies so this is not an issue for me, however it is a case where she is held accountable in order to get the support. Hope this helps. I totally agree with this judgement.

MLB-Slaw Selected Case Summaries - Mathusz v. Carew 2011 NLTD(F) 28
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM

mummer1962 is on a distinguished road

Nice to meet you Mr. Cram. Your case was used in my trial and I totally agree with the child having to pull their weight in order to get assistance for post secondary. Unfortunately I had to fight for my child who was succeeding on a number of levels and still had to fight for support from NCP.
Closed Thread