X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• case conference brief - sample needed

Hi, guys,

I will attend a case conference at the Superior Court of Justice downtown Toronto. Do not know how to prepare the case conference brief even if i knew a rough idea about it (Case Conference brief (Form 17A)(). Never seen a filled one before.

Would you guys give me a sample or let me know where i can get one.
    Thank you

xiaojun tang
    jan 11, 2010

Here are the steps...

Blais Law Office

Basically you outline what the issues are and what you propose to solve them.

Still looking for a sample... if I find it I will post it.

Comment

Hi Nick,

You have left things late? The brief should have been submitted to the courts 7 days before the conference. The idea is that the papers have to be pulled and made available to the judge beforehand so that the judge can read them over and be prepared for your conference.

The judge will most likely read only the brief, and not refer to the applications and response unless there is something that stands out and requires more detail.

The brief should be BRIEF, it should summarize the points you made in your application or response. You will see on the blank form 17a "Part 3 Issues for this Case Conference" here is the meat of your brief, the rest is just fill-in-the-blanks. This section should be maybe a dozen or so points summarizing what you wrote earlier, and perhaps any updated issues you need brought up. This is the crux of your arguments, that you supported your wife during her education, she is a graduate of a practical program leading to a career, that she is fully qualified to find work, that most spouses seeking spousal support would be only just beginning retraining but she has completed it, etc.

You would clarify that you have been paying the table amount, or more (if I recall) and that you are perfectly willing to continue.

These are the sort of points you should make. You should make arguments as well for maximizing your access to your daughter, seek 50/50 shared custody if you want, point out your parenting skills, time you spend together, what you have to offer her as she grows, etc.

Point out that (hopefully) you and your wife have been able to make decisions for your daughter jointly so far through her life and despite your personal differences you expect to be able to co-operate for full joint guardianship, etc.

These are just examples. The judge will probably run the conference from the brief, not the application, so put any point you want brought up for conversation in the brief, but keep it to a few short sentences for each point. The point of the brief is to bring topics up for conversation, not to provide overwhelmingly convincing facts and arguments, those come with the actual discussion.

Do mention brief pertinent facts, such as the number of days you spend with the child, the division of parenting chores while your wife was busy studying, anything you can think of, but do keep these mentions short.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you Technodaddy,

It is a very useful website with a lot of stuff.

However, I still want to have one, making me more confident about how other people fill it up.

Anyone has a sample, please post it or email to me atnb678@yahoo.com

Any responce will be appreciated.

Comment

Hi, Mess,

Thank you a lot for your reply, very helpful.

Now I understand the purpose of the brief further. I am going to fill up the brief in a couple of days.

By the way, do you know how to make an affidavit about the brief form 17a, how about the Financial Statement form 13. Where should I find out a lawyer or a commisioner, normally how much should I pay for that affidavit service.

Thank you Msee, I appreciate it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X