X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all, I'm new and have a question

Hello everyone,

I've been surfing the net for quite awhile trying to locate an answer to this question:

My ex-husband and I are both Canadians, we were married in New York State and then moved to the US for a couple of years. We are now back in Canada and have been separated for over two years. (no kids)

I'm now considering a divorce and would like to ask the forum members if you may know or could direct me if Canada/US have any agreements regarding divorce.

As our assets, etc have been already taken care of, there is only the 'paper' portion left to finalize.

For financial reasons, I am trying to provide most of the leg work and perhaps have the 'papers' notarized instead of retaining a lawyers services

Anyone have any ideas?

NorthwestBC

NorthwestBC,

The Divorce Act(Canada) is a federal statute and any jurisdiction or province in Canada can hear your application for divorce. The requirement is that you have to be a resident for at least a year in the specific jurisdiction that the application is made for divorce.

The Divorce Act(Canada) can be found here.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/D-3.4/49354.html

Please read this thread which also deals with same.

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354

Comment

Thank you

Thank you, Logical for responding so quickly, I had tried a few times through Yahoo search to bring up the Act but had been unsuccessful and unexpectly accessed this forum.

While I'm here though, I'll have a look around. I have read a few threads and it reads like this is a very supportive group of folks.

Thanks Again,
      NorthwestBC

Comment

Yes, this forum is excellent. I know you will find some extremely helpful advice.

I am constantly learnings from the many experts that visit this forum

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X