Nova Scotia murderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova Scotia murderer

Some interesting articles have emerged about the shooter. The first people he killed was his ex wife and her new partner. He has already met a few criteria from the domestic violence lethality scale: alcohol problem, anger management problems, separation/divorce, unemployment ( his business was shuttered by Covid), ex starts dating or has new partner. It should be noted that the death review committee identified 25 risk factors and that in all fatalities there were 3 or more risk factors present. This man had at least five of those risk factors, possibly more. There is no mention of him having any children but there is mention of neighbors witnessing him being jealous and hostile in regards to his girlfriend.

He appears to have had narcissistic tendencies as relayed by a former friend who asked for financial assistance in the form of bridge financing for his home and instead under the guise of doing so, legally had the friend evicted and stole his home. He tried to screw over his uncle financially but lost that battle in court. They also describe finding a “shrine” in his home dedicated to police paraphernalia.
    Last edited by Stillbreathing; 04-22-2020, 11:54 AM.

Are you proposing that we take a page from "Minority Report" and preemptively lock up these type of people?

Comment

nah- i think she's saying that we have to start taking people who perpetrate violence against an intimate partner- or former intimate partner - as being potential lethal nutjobs. which this dude might have been.

I will always be fearful of my ex- our OCL report identified 8 risk factors present per the death review. The investigator took it way more serious than I did. I'm very guarded about who I am dating, e.g. never reveal anything on social media, etc etc..

what's the opposite of "bitches be crazy"? I'm pretty sure that is what Stillbreathing is referring to.

Comment

What do you do with a potentially lethal nutjob? Keep in mind that depending on the size of net you cast, some innocent people are going to be caught in it.

Also, the opposite of "bitches be crazy" is "dudes be cool". Duh.

Comment

Another article written by a forensic psychiatrist suggested that the important thing is to identify risk factors as opposed to motivation with these shooters. He went further to say that research has shown these people display “violence leakage” at least 5-6 times prior to the actual shooting. Violence leakage can be posting threats in social media, telling a friend or neighbour about their violent plans, etc. There have been times when a mass shooting was averted because somebody warned the police early enough.

Comment

I must be missing something. Let's say that 5 guys are experiencing a level of "violence leakage" that indicates that each has a 20% probability of shortly heading out on a homocidal rampage.

Great, now what? Throw all 5 in jail?

I just don't see what kind of action we can take in this situation. This isn't China, our justice system needs something a bit more than "well, probably not... but maybe" to coercively manage people.

Also, I call epic bullshit on the "mass shooting averted" claim. There is no way of making that determination at all.

Comment

Sorry Janus. I’m on my phone so I can’t hyperlink the article. Apparently a teen complained about another teen who had posted online that they fantasized about shooting people. When the police investigated further they discovered several firearms at his residence, with many rounds of ammunition and a detailed manifesto of his intentions. They also discovered he had told several other people about his violent thoughts but those people had shrugged it off and did not report him to the authorities.
              In my work I have been involved as a member of the community response team which basically involves schools, police and mental health hospital departments sharing information with each other the minute they come in
              contact with a student who is at risk. Prior to the formation of this team, information was not automatically shared. For instance, if a school found a written seating plan of all the kids a student was going to kill, it was shared with police but not necessarily the hospital. If a teen was admitted to a mental health unit and expressed homicidal ideation, this was not routinely shared with police or their school. If a teen was arrested and charged with uttering threats to his classmates this was not automatically shared with mental health. Studies had found that school shooters did not come out of nowhere. They had expressed worrisome ideation to others, had been in conflict with the law, been in contact with mental
              Health services, etc. The point of developing the community response team was to prevent further tragedies as much as possible by helping these people not to fall through the cracks and to get them the supports they need, whether mental health, legal repercussions or educational. But in a co-ordinated effort.

Forensic psychiatrists perform what’s called “psychological autopsies” on these types of people and in doing so have discovered they do give off warning signs or as they have coined it “violence leakage”.

Many civilians don’t know how important these red flag warning signs actually are and hense don’t report them.

Comment

I agree that information sharing would be helpful. There is a current focus on privacy which may complicate such initiatives, but I would definitely support their implementation.

Also, if you think that "teen says they are going to kill people" means that they are going to kill people, then you need to hang around with more teenagers. They say a lot of shit. It is very unlikely that any mass murder was averted by arresting a teenager who was saying some disturbing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                  Many civilians.
                  Everytime a non-military individual refers to me as a "civilian", I get a little creeped out. Nobody who ever uses that term should ever be trusted with any level of power.

Comment

Instead of civilians substitute “individuals who have no specialized education or training in domestic violence or community risk assessment” or lay people.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X