This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoops; should've come here first!

Hi all! I should've introduced myself before now, but here's my intro.

I'm a single Mom to twin boys who just turned two; don't have to say, it's a BUSY life! My ex and I originally separated over a year ago, had a short 'reconciliation' period, but ended it for good about 8 monthes ago. Like most everyone else here, it's been a nightmare. He's an alcoholic who's out of control and screwing up more and more all the time. When we met, it was a case of everyone saying that love had changed him, and now he was settling down to a responsible adult, etc. Gradually, he moved back to his old ways of drinking and being less and less responsible, and I became more and more of a "police woman", trying to keep him on the straight and narrow, and once the kids came, and I needed him to take some responsibility for himself, he just didn't. In the end, it was all I could do to keep him from financially ruining our lives, and he was drinking all the time; I couldn't take it and asked him to leave.

Now we're fighting over custody and access, support, and the house. I'm not working, and he's trying to control me by keeping me broke and afraid for our future. He won't see the kids unless he can 'take' them, and I don't trust him to do so. He was recently charged with DUI (his fourth), and will likely be going to jail soon.

Not a pretty picture, but I've already recieved some wonderful advice and support here, and hopefully my situation will prove to be helpful to others.

Sasha1

I can't imagine having twin boys.They must keep you on the go all day long!
    I hope they still nap in the afternoon, so you get a bit of a break during the day. Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you don't let him have the boys unsupervised. Facing his fourth DUI it is unlikely that a Judge wouldn't order supervised access until he gets his act together.

How are you going to get child/spousal support if he is in jail and can't work? Can you go for a lump sum payment?

I wish you all the best.

Comment

Thanks Grace!

Yes, those boys do keep me hopping! Although they've never gotten to the 'sleeping through the night' stage, thankfully, they do nap for me in the afternoon now!

I won't let him take the boys unsupervised unless a judge orders me to; that's why we're at an impass now.. he refuses to see them unless it's on his terms, and (among other things) that means taking them unsupervised. As for the monetary support, I don't imagine I will be able to get any while he's in jail, but we need an order for it prior to him getting incarcerated, so that at least he will be responsible for it, even if he never pays it. A lump sum payment won't likely work, as he has completely blown his credit and run up a small fortune in debt since he left the home. He's got some money coming back to him from Revenue Canada for several years of not doing his tax returns, but if he gets it before a judge hears our case, he'll blow that, too. At this point, I think my best bet is to push to get this in front of a judge as quickly as possible, but I'm already in legal debt over my head. I'm not too sure what will happen next, especially since I recently found out that he's been defaulting on the mortgage, and the bank has started the foreclosure process.

Ugh! What a mess! It sure takes it's toll, but I'm SO grateful to have found this board for support!

Comment

Hi sasha!

I also have twin boys that are now 14! I can tell you it does get easier, and be glad they are boys, my sister has twin girls and what a nightmare! I have a daughter also (single birth) I am glad she was not a twin, but I can tell you she was far more work for me then the two boys!
        Sorry about your situation, hopefully it will all work out soon for you. Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks, Lisa!

When I was pregnant with the twins, I didn't know if they were boys or girls or one of each. I was SO afraid they'd be 2 boys! LOL! It didn't take but a minute to drop that fear and be grateful they were alive and healthy after the birth, and now I wonder how I would do with girls! I love my boys SO much; I can't imagine sweeter, more wonderful children! Are your twins identical or fraternal? And your sister's girls?

Thanks for the well-wishes; right back at ya!

Comment

Sasha,

I amazed at how well you seem to be handling everything. Do you know from the Crown how much time he is looking at serving? How can he afford both a family lawyer and a criminal lawyer? That might be the reason he has defaulted on the mortgage payments.

When is your next day in court? I hope it's a motion for support & custody. I think in your case you could ask for an emergency motion, which would be faster.

Good Luck

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X