Ottawa Divorce .com Forums


User CP

New posts

Advertising

  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-12-2018, 08:34 AM
cashcow4ex's Avatar
cashcow4ex cashcow4ex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 282
cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road
Default Child support over payment

My ex and I have been renegotiating our SA because of a change in residence with one of our children. This has been dragging on for almost 2/3rd's of a year and we aren't any closer to an amended agreement.


My question is, I had over payed child support for several months in 2017 & 2018 (we are talking close to $3,000) which my ex has stated that she was aware of the over-payments and that the money is sitting in an account waiting to give back to me. The original plan was she would make a full payment to me when the the amendments were done and agreed upon. The issue is, vacation time with the kids is coming up, money is tight and I could really use it. Do you see a problem if I make up that money by stopping CS payments until my money is re-couped?


FRO is not involved.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM
rockscan rockscan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,525
rockscan will become famous soon enough
Default

If you stop paying she can take anything you have as an order and register with FRO now. If you stop paying it makes you look bad through negotiation.

As much as the idea makes sense, don’t do it. It will only backfire.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2018, 09:13 AM
cashcow4ex's Avatar
cashcow4ex cashcow4ex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 282
cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road
Default

Wasn't hoping for that answer lol.



Even if we both pay each other child support (she has one child and I have one child) and she has been paying her CS to me based on her net income because her employment is a home daycare? Meaning, for 8 months now she has been paying CS based on net income after deductions which is over 60% of her salary?


Man, even our polymer money can only stretch so far!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Janus's Avatar
Janus Janus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,551
Janus will become famous soon enough
Default

Generally speaking, unilaterally stopping CS payments is a bad idea.

If you are certain you will be getting the $3000 back at some point, then borrow the money from the bank. You can probably get the loan for 6% interest easily, or possibly better if you own a house and have a HELOC. Even if you take a year to pay it back, that only costs you about $200, which is not too much relative to the three grand.

If you cannot travel without the $3000, and you are not certain that you will get it back, then you have made a poor financial choice .

But no, I would not cut CS without agreement from the recipient. And if she was agreeable, then you could probably just get your $3000 from her directly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2018, 09:25 AM
cashcow4ex's Avatar
cashcow4ex cashcow4ex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 282
cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks Janus and Rockscan.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM
CoolGuy41's Avatar
CoolGuy41 CoolGuy41 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 47
CoolGuy41 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
Generally speaking, unilaterally stopping CS payments is a bad idea.

Would you say this extends to set-off CS where the other side has not quite provided the financial disclosure ordered?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Berner_Faith Berner_Faith is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,151
Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow4ex View Post
Wasn't hoping for that answer lol.



Even if we both pay each other child support (she has one child and I have one child) and she has been paying her CS to me based on her net income because her employment is a home daycare? Meaning, for 8 months now she has been paying CS based on net income after deductions which is over 60% of her salary?


Man, even our polymer money can only stretch so far!


If she is paying you... how are you paying her? or are you paying her full CS and in turn she’s paying you back full CS?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Janus's Avatar
Janus Janus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,551
Janus will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGuy41 View Post
Would you say this extends to set-off CS where the other side has not quite provided the financial disclosure ordered?


There is relatively little case law for CS in shared parenting.


That said, your situation is entirely different. Piggybank knows what he has to pay, and is looking to not pay because it helps his situation. The case law is almost uniform on that, and it isn't goodl


In an offset CS arrangement, you need both incomes to determine payment amounts. If you don't know other income, then you cannot make a determination of payment. In your case, I would send a message to ex:


"Since you have not provided any income information yet, I will temporarily assume that your income is exactly equal to mine, resulting in a setoff CS level of zero dollars. I am willing to retroactively adjust this for 6 months."

You are not refusing to pay, you are just assuming information since ex has not provided it, and then you are paying the appropriate amount.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2018, 03:02 PM
cashcow4ex's Avatar
cashcow4ex cashcow4ex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 282
cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berner_Faith View Post
If she is paying you... how are you paying her? or are you paying her full CS and in turn she’s paying you back full CS?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Correct, for tax dependent reasons I insisted that we each pay the full child support owing as she has one child and I have the other. I have been paying my full table amounts forever, however there was an overage payed to her by me from October 2017 to Feb 2018 as I didn't understand how to properly calculate offsetting support as this was new as of October 2017. I calculated it that I take what I would pay her for both kids, and minus it from what she would pay me for both kids. It wasn't until the end of February 2018 that a member on here informed me that its the same calculation except we only use 1 child.


She on the other hand has been paying me full table amounts on her net income which in most cases is 30% or more lower than minimum wage. The line 150 the Gov't website states to use for self employed is their full business income minus business deductions. As mentioned, last year she made $47,000 but is paying child support based on $18,000 which is her net income.

Last edited by cashcow4ex; 06-12-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM
cashcow4ex's Avatar
cashcow4ex cashcow4ex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 282
cashcow4ex is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
There is relatively little case law for CS in shared parenting.


That said, your situation is entirely different. Piggybank knows what he has to pay, and is looking to not pay because it helps his situation. The case law is almost uniform on that, and it isn't goodl


In an offset CS arrangement, you need both incomes to determine payment amounts. If you don't know other income, then you cannot make a determination of payment. In your case, I would send a message to ex:


"Since you have not provided any income information yet, I will temporarily assume that your income is exactly equal to mine, resulting in a setoff CS level of zero dollars. I am willing to retroactively adjust this for 6 months."

You are not refusing to pay, you are just assuming information since ex has not provided it, and then you are paying the appropriate amount.

I am not looking to pay less than table amounts. I am simply looking to get the overage I have payed her from October 2017 to Feb 2018 as it was you and Rockscan that both informed me that I was calculating it wrong.


My ex has provided me with her business tax info however the laws as far as calculating CS when self employed are more than a grey area. She thinks that every deduction allowed by CRA should also be removed for CS calculation purposes. It amounts to about 63% in deductions based on her tax return.


All I want is that extra money that was paid to her for the above time period as I was calculating the offset amount using both kids and not just one.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is responsible for Child Support momof3 Divorce & Family Law 16 05-12-2011 11:20 AM
Notional Grossed Up Child Support Amount? Gary M Financial Issues 12 01-06-2011 05:23 PM
Spousal Equivalent for CRA Cobourg Divorce & Family Law 21 01-14-2010 07:43 AM
Will I be Paying Spousal Support? North of You Financial Issues 5 10-21-2009 03:05 AM
Interjurisdictional Nightmare smadax Divorce & Family Law 8 01-29-2007 04:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.