Mobility Rights How Far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility Rights How Far?

I have it in the back of my mind that moving out of the city could save me $$$ and have a better life for the kids. I currently live in Toronto and its just getting too expensive. Should I decide to move to the suburbs how far is too far away from ex? Ex currently has a 30 minute commute to pick up kids for access.

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
    I have it in the back of my mind that moving out of the city could save me $$$ and have a better life for the kids. I currently live in Toronto and its just getting too expensive. Should I decide to move to the suburbs how far is too far away from the ex? Ex currently has a 30 minute commute to pick up kids for access.
    1. Obtain consent from the other parent to move and you won't have any issues.

2. Bring the matter to court prior to any move if you can't obtain consent from the other parent.

3. You really should have a lawyer help with this.

As the other responder suggests... 45 minutes would possibly be acceptable. But, you are changing schools etc... Which is material possibly? I recall your children (one or both) have special needs. So a counter-argument that it isn't in their best interests and may even cause them unnecessary stress could be made.

As a guideline, I would look at the new proposed changes to the Divorce Act and what could possibly be required for you to move the children. Even if it isn't the "law" it is likely that some form of it will come into play in the near future.

Pay close attention to the requirements for notice, what needs to be disclosed etc... It is always good to be forward-looking and the proposed changes are quite well done. So no reason you can't follow them in spirit.

Finally, you have to move quite far from Toronto to find true affordability. Peel, Halton, York, Durham and even Barrie are not "cheap". Furthermore, the cost to commute to work will be both time consuming and expensive. Often, the "value" (cheaper) properties consume resources (time/money) and quickly consume any savings you get from moving farther away.

For example, Barrie South Go to Union Station: 1h37m (one way). Cost: $13.95 (one way). ($139.50 a week and 16h16m of commute time a week!)

48 work weeks in a year...

$6,696.00 a year in Go Train fees!
    780h8m on a train a year!

If you work 37.5 hours a week we are talking about roughly 21 weeks of working hours on a train a year.

If you make 25 an hour... We are talking about 19,200 salary of time.

I value time so, more than the cost of the commute the lost time is really crazy.

Looking at rentals of a 3 bedroom they are about 1900 a month in Barrie... (Realtor.ca). Which really isn't a HUGE saving... Not $6,696 a year in savings or 21 weeks of extra time in savings!

Good Luck!
    Tayken

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X