This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asset Questions

I got married in 1996 to her....divorced in 1999.......moved on with my life she give me custody of the kids (2 at the time)..... remarried to someone else in 2002.....that didn't work out.....went back to her in 2004..... filed for her immigration sponsorship in 2005.....bought a house in 2005 (my downpayment my mortgage to this day) during this time her status in Canada was a visitor.......we had another child.......she received her green card in 2008....now are are seperating (still common-law thank God).....these questions I have:

1. The house and everything is in my name paid by me just after we got back together.... Is she entitled to anything?

2. Do I still have custody of the first two kids?
    3. She was a stay home mom (Gold Digger Kind) since we started back together....is she entitled to anything?
    4. Can I ask her to move out?
    5. Does she have to pay 1/2 the Debts ...all the credit cards/debts are in my name...

Yikes....doesn't look good for you. She is entitled to the house as well as spousal support since she was a stay at home mom, and you were supporting her financially. You probably still retain custody of the kids, but she could apply for a child custody hearing to regain legal custody. Try getting some money together and paying her off. It might work, make sure you remain the custodial parent as well so she can't go after child support.
    Whether you are comon law or not, it doesn't matter as far as the home, etc, you lived together more than two years which means she has a right to the assets. I would get a lawyer, as she most likely won't be able to match you in court as far as costs.

Comment

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f11/need-help-3846/

This post has similar questions about assets in a CL union, and some responses worth reviewing.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X