Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:50 AM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockscan View Post
Yes but that is not his fault. You should have worked to pay down this debt.

You really keep digging yourself a bigger hole. You had a quarter million in legal debt during the marriage, you never paid any of it, you quit a well paying job to start a business, you don�t pay yourself but pay your new partner and you refuse to agree to sell the matrimonial home. If you lose this case you also pay his fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did work very hard to pay down this bill but since I was paying these fees I couldn't contribute to any expenses so my ex had to cover my day to day spending. Does he really get to use that against me?

When you say I have to pay his fees do you mean fees from when we start and court proceedings or fees over the years he's tried to get me to sell the house?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:00 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue22 View Post
I did work very hard to pay down this bill but since I was paying these fees I couldn't contribute to any expenses so my ex had to cover my day to day spending. Does he really get to use that against me?

When you say I have to pay his fees do you mean fees from when we start and court proceedings or fees over the years he's tried to get me to sell the house?

But you quit a well paying job to work for yourself and pay your new boyfriend. Any attempts you made are moot as you made stupid financial decisions.

If he wins and can argue he is entitled to costs, he can argue for all of his costs from the start of the entire mess. This is why most of the people here have told you to smarten up.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:02 AM

trueblue22 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
But you quit a well paying job to work for yourself and pay your new boyfriend. Any attempts you made are moot as you made stupid financial decisions.

If he wins and can argue he is entitled to costs, he can argue for all of his costs from the start of the entire mess. This is why most of the people here have told you to smarten up.

I quit but but was "officially" laid off. My ex knows the circumstances of what happened though.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enoughrockscan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue22 View Post
I quit but but was "officially" laid off. My ex knows the circumstances of what happened though.

Then you should have worked to find a new job to meet your financial responsibilities. Your ex was not a personal bank account.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:49 AM

Brampton33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Then you should have worked to find a new job to meet your financial responsibilities. Your ex was not a personal bank account.
I think alot of people have a hard time coming to grips with their new realities after separation. Going from 2 incomes to 1 income is a huge difference. You go from a lifestyle of having overflowing disposable income to barely scraping by.

Often, this means not being able to afford the payments on your house anymore. Particularly if you are embroiled in a court battle where your lawyer has a huge hand in your wallet!

In reading the threads, it appears the OP is having a hard time accepting the reality. She left a man who makes 1/2 Million per year and has a new boyfriend who is heavily in debt with his own financial issues. She left a high paying job to start a new business venture. If it was successful, she would be singing a different tune. If her new boyfriend was wealthy, she would be singing a different tune. Instead, her new reality is that the new beau is not rich, and the new business is not profitable. Rather than own up to her decisions, she is looking to point the finger at her ex and make him pay her a free ride. Her ex clearly wants to cut all ties and move on, yet she won't let him. Rather, she is upset that he will easily buy a house and she will be stuck renting. Of course he will buy a house, he makes $500k! He has been far too nice in letting her stay in the house rent-free. 5 years too nice.

Best outcome: Work out a proper separation agreement with ex seeing proper equalization of house sale and assets. Depending on duration of marriage, she may be entitled to a few years of Spousal Support. This may include her income being imputed at $150k for calculating support.

Worst outcome: OP continues to drag feet with situation and act unreasonably. Ex brings motion for sale of house and will easily win. OP will have to pay his legal costs dipping into her share of the equalization money.

In reading posts/threads, it appears the trajectory of this case is headed towards the latter.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:07 AM

Helpmyspouse is on a distinguished road

I was in similar situation. Ex held the matrimonial home hostage for 2 years. The judge granted my motion to force sale of the home. Ex pushed back said he would be homeless which is what happened to him anyway. Regardless the judge ordered sale of the home because ex was denying me access to my share of the equity. So a cautionary tale to the poster. If a judge didn't care that a mentally ill man would be homeless it will be even more likely he will order you to sell your home. You can't be unreasonable and prevent your ex from accessing what is his.