This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billm View Post
    So if your ex won $1 million, you would still want to pay full CS?

Income is income - to say 'well its not on line 150, so I don't have to change CS', is hiding behind a false technicality at best, immoral at its worst.

If your CS is based on income, how can you ignore the income of a lottery - simply because it is not a taxable event for a Canadian lottery - what if the tax laws were different (as they are in the US), and it was taxable income - then you think you should pay?? What is the difference other than it simply it being non taxed income, which in of itself is not a difference from the point of view of determining CS.

Again, if your ex won the lottery, I'm sure you would want CS changed....
    income of ex has nothing to do with CS (unless you claim undue hardship). only SS

and we are talking about legal ground to change CS base on lottery win not moral side of it.

Comment

Income is income - to say 'well its not on line 150, so I don't have to change CS', is hiding behind a false technicality at best, immoral at its worst.
      But lottery wins are not income...that is the point. I know what you are saying and I certainly wouldn't hide behind it... As I stated, I would make sure my children were taken care of.

Look at it from this view point...my ex can get promoted and earn 1 million a year but the CS I pay won't be reduced, no matter how unfair I may think it is.

Comment

So if your ex won $1 million, you would still want to pay full CS?

If your CS is based on income, how can you ignore the income of a lottery - simply because it is not a taxable event for a Canadian lottery - what if the tax laws were different (as they are in the US), and it was taxable income - then you think you should pay?? What is the difference other than it simply it being non taxed income, which in of itself is not a difference from the point of view of determining CS.

So you both sell your home you pocket 200k from the sale then be would have to pay cs based on the sale of the home??? If all these possibilities are excepted then why not be able to deduct income...income is going directly to ex...before you get it essentially.

Comment

I dont think they could force a raise in CS. Now as for SS I do think they could. They could classify it as a major change in circumstances.

I would set my kids up for sure. However It would be a cold day in hell before my ex got a single penny of it.

Comment

What I am saying is the principle amount is not classified as income and not subject to CS. It is a once in a lifetime scenario, and you cannot use the basis of that amount as grounds for basing income. I mean, you can't really use a 3 year average to determine CS if one of the years you won $15million...because the $15million isn't a sustainable level of income.

What I am saying is any income derived from the lottery winnings is attributable to CS, and an interest rate SHOULD be determined as soon as possible. And the interest rate determined would then be used to imputed to the payors income effective the date of the winfall.

Comment

Income is income - to say 'well its not on line 150, so I don't have to change CS', is hiding behind a false technicality at best, immoral at its worst...
              If my ex won the lottery, as much as it would tick me off, I would have to accept the fact that I am still obligated to pay my portion to help raise my daughter, even if it is nominal compared to my ex's.

And I don't think anyone here is talking about hiding income. I know one of the first things I would do is notify my ex to arrange that I increase my CS to a reasonable interest rate for the 1st year and then via line 150 moving forward.

As for my daughter, I would establish a trust fund to ensure she is provided for come university (we already do an RESP, but this would be substantially larger) and to provide a large sum of money for extra-ordinary expenses (private school or whatever) and to ensure she is set for life when she is older.

I am not "hiding" any money from my ex that she would otherwise be entitled to.

Comment

I know this an older thread, but I came across the following which relates to the discussion above.

Lottery win means more child support for Saskatchewan family - Saskatchewan - CBC News

Comment

I am fairly certain that lottery winning, insurance claims and inheritance can't be touched by ex spouses.

Comment

Did anybody win?

If I win I'll set up a weekend getaway for everyone on the forum. I'll pay for all the hotel/food entertainment/ - you just have to get there. Oh yeah, we would have to check with slughead and see how many bedrooms his place has.... details, just details.

Comment

If I won, I would let the future x know that he is no longer obligated to pay his partial child support payments(I can't wait for this fro to kick in), for his children and he could flock off, never contact me again.

As for the kids and I and my mom, we would live nicely, I would have a lifetime trust set up for my handicapped nephew, so all his needs are met. I would also set up a few lifetime trust for a couple of charities that are near and dear.

If he won, I would want him to pay in lump sum all the back support owed, the future support, and then he could flock off, never to contact me again

Oh to dream

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X