X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be considered Common Law

My mom has been living with a man as her main sole residence for 1.5 years
    She has been together with him for 4 years - for 3.5 years they spent weekends together (he worked out of town) and she did this mainly at his house until she sold her house 1.5 years ago and moved in.
    He works full time and she looks after the house - cooking cleaning yard work etc;

The question is - can she consider herself common law
    It has gone sour and she wants to leave. She has contribute both in upkeep and $500 month to the house.
    What is here rights to alimony and a share of assets etc.

I should have stated I am new to list and can't figure out how or where to post a new thread?
    Last edited by FL_Needs_To_Change; 10-02-2008, 08:19 AM.

If they are in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, NO they are not CL, they require 3 consecutive/continuous years of conjugal cohabitation.

In BC or Nova Scotia, it is 2 years, however there is no requirement of continuity in BC.

Comment

She has no rights to any assets or the house etc.
      The $500/month will be seen as "rent", and most definitely no right to claim any spousal support.

Comment

No rights to your mom to ask money. Your mom is not marry him so no relation between your mom and that man according to law.According to law your mom is tenent for his home so no rights to ask any more. This is my opinion.
        ================================
        Jobs.steve
        Last edited by FL_Needs_To_Change; 10-08-2008, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X