Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 05:03 PM

whatsup is on a distinguished road
Default Lawyer recommendations

Hello everyone,
I would like to know if any of you have knowledge of a good lawyer in the west Toronto, Mississauga/ Brampton or Oakville area..I would like to know why you liked this lawyer and what their particular strengths were...
Thanks so much in Advance.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM

alexan10 is on a distinguished road

How about Edmonton?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Margaret-Krupa is on a distinguished road

I am also very interested in answers to this post. I am also looking for a lawyer in GTA West end: Oakville, Burlington or Hamilton. I know some good lawyers Toronto downtown, but these are expensive and far for me (I do not drive). Therefore I would appreciatge any input to this post. Thank you.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM

littleman is on a distinguished road

how about trying to do it yourself.......of course depending on how trivial and complex it is......save yourself a ton of money
Old 03-24-2010, 01:02 PM

I was considering this - seriously, but the more I think about it the more I realize that a lawyer is the only sensible solution for me. I do not trust my husband now and this is the main reason.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 PM

trust is always a two way street......you dont trust the man you shared a life with but you would trust a lawyer with your future ( I ask cause someone asked me same thing)......I guess you would if you are slapping down 5000$ retainer.....are you going for divorce or custody.....if its divorce and its simple......do yourself......if you have many investments could be sticky......one house and a few RRSP really not worth the cost of lawyer
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 PM

I thank you very much for your reply Littleman. This was actually very helpful. I will once again consider doing it myself. We only have a house, RRSPs are almost next to none. Custody is not an issue because my husband expressed clearly that he is not interested in parenting to our two sons (15 and 17 now). I do not even want to bother too much about custody support payments - I know he will try to avoid this and there is not much time left for him to pay anyways. The issue that is troublesome is with my illness (I have anorexia....)) and it seems like he is trying to take this to his advantage. There are days when I feel so ill that I will sign, do, act....you name it... anything just to get the stuff our of my way, because I feel so unwell and cannot think clearly...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 PM

very simple divorce then.......house is 50/50, same for RRSP.....child support no choice a judge will force that.....support is for the children and not a choice its an obligation of a parent.....even if you decline judge will still force......you can obtain simple divorce providing you have been seperated for 1 year....file for uncontested divorce and go from there......make it simple.....dont go after his soul.....ask for half house & RRSP and he will see you as reasonable......again child support a judge will force on him so he might as well agree to table amount.......simplify for everyone concerned
Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Thank you once agin littleman! It seems to me that you have a LOT of experience with this proceeding! and what is awsome you are not keeping it to yourself but do your best to help others with sincere and honest advice! Thank you - I really appreciate your good heart!
If I can ask you then for more advice - can you please tell me how to start this? My husband will not do anything himself because he is not document saavy... he actually expressed many times that I start this because I know paperwork better (I worked as a secreatry for many years before I went on LTD three years ago). Which form should I complete first and where can I get it and where should I file it? Do I need to have a lawyer commisison it ? Just give me some idea what to do to start this proceeding (we have been married for 22 years). Thank you.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:09 PM

Family Law Rules Forms — Ontario Court Services
get the forms from above site
start with form 8A and go from there
you both need to file and make your payment when you first file......not sure how much.....its part payment and the balance due when you file for the final decree
Closed Thread