CPP and entitlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPP and entitlement

My ex is on LTD but it happened at work so is fully compensated and makes his full wage but has been deemed catastrophically injured by the govt so he collects CPP. Our children also get CPP that amounts to $244 each per month. Even while married I was unaware of this as he kept all that secret. It is sent in a cheque each month to the ex for the children but he feels it is his to spend. I am the one making payments into the RESP for the kids without his help. I feel the money should be put into the RESP for them or kept in a separate account but it isn't. Is there a way to compel a parent to contribute money to an RESP in the divorce agreement? Is this money that he gets included in his income? He states he makes less than me and in line 150he does but I have seen the deposits into his account and the monthly deposits equals my pay I just can't figure out the tax implications and that is perhaps why he makes 30k less on on his T4. Ex is horrible with money and a I am struggling with sending one child to university and next year will have 2 in post secondary. One child is now 18 and CPP now goes to ex's house in the mail and ex still takes it and cashes it. I tried to change it so that it gets deposited into my son's account but ex caught wind of it and had a complete freak out stating it was his money due to his disability. I didn't do anything after that because he threatened to cut off all money to the kids. No CS or SS. What little he contributes helps and he will then cut off contact with kids too and be a total jerk to them and that isn't healthy.

I am not sure if there is a way to make it go directly to the child when it is an adult child at school? For kids under 18 it is his to spend as he wishes, but it does have to be included as income for child support purposes, and he would have to pay aproportional share of section 7 school expenses. There are a few kinds of disabiliy payments that are not taxable and dont show up inthe line 150, I think it is police and military disability but I am not sure if CPP is taxable. Even if it is not taxable the parent still has to include it in income for chil dsupport purposes, but if memeory serve right, i think it is not the whole amount but a portion, but I cant remember why or how much. You might want to see a lawyer about how to figure that out or if you think there is something wrong with the way the income is begin calculated

Comment

He canthreaten to not pay child support,but then you can have fro collect it for you and take yourself out of the equation. does he not oay his proportion about of section 7 expenses?

Comment

LTD would not show up on his tax return. This amount would be grossed up and added to his income.

CPPD is taxed and would should up on his return. But only the amount he gets. The children's portion of CPPD would be paid out in their names as income, but your ex gets to keep that money for the kids. It doesn't count as his income for support.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X