Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winnipeg police plead with mom to bring back her children

Winnipeg police plead with mom to bring back her children | CTV News

I thought it was strange to read that they didn't issue an Ambert Alert, because the "vehicle description" was too vague. Did she rent some unknown vehicle or something?

The kids are still "abducted" by Mom, and they have photos of the Mom and children, which someone may recognize?

Sorry, it looks like this same topic is also being mentioned in this other thread:

http://www.ottawadivorce.com/forum/f...27/#post209235

My apologies.

Comment

Giesbrecht facing abduction charges after arrest Friday | Winnipeg | News | Winn

Amber Alert wasn't issued as the police reserve Amber Alerts for when they fear the children are in physical danger. They did not believe this to be the case here, not because the kids were abducted by mom.

The mom was arrested and charged with abduction - just like a man would have been charged with.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
        Giesbrecht facing abduction charges after arrest Friday | Winnipeg | News | Winn

Amber Alert wasn't issued as the police reserve Amber Alerts for when they fear the children are in physical danger. They did not believe this to be the case here, not because the kids were abducted by mom.

The mom was arrested and charged with abduction - just like a man would have been charged with.
        Meh. Their criteria seems to be followed, loosey-goosey. Seems like a confirmed abduction should warrant it enough. Kids may not be in physical danger, but could dissapear none the less? Lots of news stories, where kids aren't in actual danger, but amber alerts are issued, in custody disputes...especially when Dad is driving.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
          Meh. Their criteria seems to be followed, loosey-goosey. Seems like a confirmed abduction should warrant it enough. Kids may not be in physical danger, but could dissapear none the less? Lots of news stories, where kids aren't in actual danger, but amber alerts are issued, in custody disputes...especially when Dad is driving.
          I wonder what the stats actually are.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
            I wonder what the stats actually are.
            http://www.amberalert.gov/pdfs/2014AMBERAlertReport.pdf

US - I couldn't find much on Canadian Amber Alert Stats. In Canada, Amber Alerts are generally not used for parental abductions unless the child is in immediate danger. So, there could be next to no stats available. In the US it seems much more liberally used.

In the US - it's divided pretty much 60 (men)/40 (women) on the parental gender responsible for the abduction. I would guess the difference isn't down to gender bias, but rather that men are more likely to do the abductions and therefore, more Amber Alerts.

Interestingly of the children recovered deceased (6) only one was abducted by their parent - in this case their father. They're more likely to be abducted and killed by the child's own boyfriend or ex-boyfriend than one of their parents.

Comment

Women get post partum depression and can kill their kids, which has been done many times, easily done when they are young. Seems drowning, or driving into water is the most common one. Not sure if these deaths have much to do with abduction or would be related to it in stats. You mentioned Winnipeg and it immediately brought this case back to memory... Lisa Gibson, Winnipeg Mother, Missing: Search Focuses On Assiniboine River

Comment

Looks like Mom was caught, and arrested:

Arrest in alleged kidnapping a swift one - Winnipeg Free Press

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X