Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drinking to numb or cope -- do you? .. did you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking to numb or cope -- do you? .. did you?

Personally, I have been there ... just wondering if anyone else has?

Still do....

Comment

Once upon a time I did much worse.

I still have a drink on occasion, even though all the literature indicates I should be a teatotaler these days.

Nothing wrong with such vices, until they start to impact your performance in day to day life.

So I say, Imbibe all you like - just know how much is enough and be self-aware enough to recognize if its a problem.

Comment

Did, and still do. When the boys are with dad.

Comment

my "treat" to myself is a glass of wine after the girls go to bed..... it's my unwind time....

Comment

Great responses - thanks. It's good to know I'm not alone. I got in a little heavy for awhile, then gave it up (hard as hell), and seem to be creeping back lately ... Key is to stop before it gets ya hooked (if you're a getting-hooked type of person, that is) ... Sounds easy, but isn't sometimes!

Comment

Interestingly, since the Court storm began, I drink a lot less, and a lot less often. I occasionally joke that "I need to learn to drink again." I think I'm subconsciously worried that I'd just feel too depressed if I drank. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but I totally can't handle hangovers anymore. :s I feel if I ever get to a "happier" and less stressed "place" - I will probably indulge a little more (within reason) and get back to being able to achieve the happy glow I once was able to. Secondly, I'm on a tight budget (that's putting it mildly). Alcohol seems like a "luxury" as far as expenditures go. Cheers! We all know when we've had too much. Like the good old saying goes "Drink Responsibly."

Comment

In the early part of my separation I went out with friends more but never had more than a couple drinks, but that was short lived and was more me coming to grips that I was healthier being away from my wife than with her. I can honestly say if my alcohol consumption has changed since before separation it has decreased. I have the odd G&T, beer or glass of wine but rarely have more than a drink and that's only once or twice a week with friends. Also I can't afford to drink right now with the amount of legal fees and CS I am paying.

I have leaned a little heavier on another vice (cigarettes) but I committed myself to quitting once the SA/court decision is final.

SD

Comment

I have learned that exercise (and lots of it) is the overall best method for coping. When my STBX and I split, my alcohol consumption increased a fair bit until I realized that it made me feel worse, plus of course the cost as well. So I started walking and cycling (a lot) and it really helps me cope through these tough times.

Comment

I never drank before, and splitting up didn't make me start. I"ve just never understood the attraction, and can't afford it anyway. Wish I had time to exercise though.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X