This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving in

I have heard a number of people say that once you have lived with someone for three months, that you are considered to be commonlaw. This contradicts any of the laws I have researched which state you are commonlaw after living together for one to three years, unless there are children involved. Do the courts enforce this as such?

Could somebody point me in the right direction. I am considering moving in with somebody and want to know my responsibilities.

It depends on for what purpose. Income tax uses 1 year before you are considered common law. CPP uses the same for things like death benefits and splitting cpp credits.

Family law in ontario uses 3 years( or a child) to do things like spousal support or division of property.

Comment

Extended health benefits through an employer generally use the 1 year co-habitating together to be considered common law.

In Ont it is 3 years unless a child is born for spousal suppurt purposes, and property division accumulated during the relationship. However, if you relationship was short in duration expect any spousal support award to short.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X