Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 AM

daddydaycare is on a distinguished road
Default Child tax benefits and equivalent to spouse for the children

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and would appreciate any advice.

Our divorce papers recognize that the children are with each parent no less that 40%.
I further states that she is able to claim the child benefit and equivalent to spouse.

Does this mean she claims all of the benefit and equivalent to spouse or should it be her half and I claim the other half?

Furthermore when there is shared residence how is "benefit" calculated, or who should be recieving it... only her or both of us?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 AM

first timer is on a distinguished road

In my situation, the CCTB is split, 6 months to dad, 6 months to mom, dad claims the child in odd numbered years, mom claims child in even number years. He has realized though that it would have been more beneficial to not split the CCTB, since our child receives less with him when it is based on his income since his income is more than mine. For the best interests of the child, do it so that the maximum benefit is received for the child and not base it on which parent receives it. Now, in our case our child receives the CCTB directly as a monthly clothing allowance and neither parent is spending the money.
Closed Thread