Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do to celebrate? (once you stopped the bleeding)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you do to celebrate? (once you stopped the bleeding)

I just finished paying off my last legal bill (ooff).

My lawyer is now on a limited scope retainer- and doesn't require an actual retainer.

Bleeding (re: legal cost) is officially done.

(for now)

Did you guys celebrate?

Anyone buy something frivolous?

I need a house or just a place to live for me and D3. And all the other fun stuff of raising a kid.

For now- I celebrated by taking my immediate family out for a nice brunch as a thank you. And D(almost)3 is getting some pretty amazing birthday presents in a couple of weeks. But that's it.

Comment

My husband bought our house (which was his for a few years before I moved in) with his equalization after his legal bill (hello 15 grand).

He has regular celebrations when he goes out and buys something for himself like a cd or a book or an item he collects. His ex gave him grief whenever he bought HIMSELF something so its a small victory (that I completely respect) every time he does it. If I could just get him to stop feeling guilty whenever he buys himself new clothes it would be a victory of my own!!

I wouldn’t necessarily do a one time celebration. Enjoy the little daily things you can do without answering to anyone!

Comment

I stopped eating dinner in my bathtub and starting going to some sex clubs, to watch freaky people getting it on.

Like rockscan said, every day is a celebration.

...but yeah, I did buy myself a very fancy meal at the fraction of a cost of time with a lawyer. I enjoyed the meal much more than hanging out with my lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
          I stopped eating dinner in my bathtub and starting going to some sex clubs, to watch freaky people getting it on.
          that reference is....weird.

Since my lawyer isn't getting my money anymore- I decided I like him so much that I'm sending my best friend's $$$$$$$$$$$$ his way (the # of '$' is to indicate how much her file might be worth. It's insane).

I really need to change my practice.

Comment

Back when my parents split I wanted to be a family lawyer. Then I worked with lawyers and realized I wasn’t interested.

As nickel and dimey as they are, I would not want to deal with this shit. It’s enough for us having to read the garbage and do the math. My husbands lawyer just sits and laughs when he reads the correspondence from the ex and now her lawyer. I would go crazy. And that says a lot since I deal with difficult people all day.

Comment

I wrote a fiction novel. Have an agent interested. Can’t wait for it to be published. Sure the ex is going to sue me over it even though I have changed the names to protect the guilty. It’s a sick and twisted romantic thriller involving time travel. Gave me a lot of satisfaction doling out karma justice to the characters in my book. Had a blast writing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillbreathing View Post
                I wrote a fiction novel. Have an agent interested. Can’t wait for it to be published. Sure the ex is going to sue me over it even though I have changed the names to protect the guilty. It’s a sick and twisted romantic thriller involving time travel. Gave me a lot of satisfaction doling out karma justice to the characters in my book. Had a blast writing it.

That is really cool. Would your kids know about it? It’s the one thing that stops me from being more open about what I went through. I worry about my daughter ever coming across it.

I joke with my friends that I’m going to do a dark comedy podcast about divorcing a nut job. How to choose a lawyer. Why you should not try to date, etc...basically

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                  Back when my parents split I wanted to be a family lawyer. Then I worked with lawyers and realized I wasn’t interested.

As nickel and dimey as they are, I would not want to deal with this shit. It’s enough for us having to read the garbage and do the math. My husbands lawyer just sits and laughs when he reads the correspondence from the ex and now her lawyer. I would go crazy. And that says a lot since I deal with difficult people all day.

Family law and employment law are the biggest mental mind game practices in law.

I think I would like it. I don’t mind the hard stuff. The problem would be your clients. I can’t imagine any other clients that want to pay you less.

Comment

I didn't celebrate. I just moved forward with my life.

Comment

What did you do to celebrate? (once you stopped the bleeding)

Originally posted by calvinfive View Post
                      I didn't celebrate. I just moved forward with my life.
                      boooooring.

Comment

I'm stuck paying 'indefinite' spousal support so the bleeding may never end.

It gives new meaning to the term, "til death do us part."

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post

When I was in college I did a co-op at a law firm (was taking a legal diploma). One of the family lawyers was doing duty counsel at the local courthouse and asked if I wanted to tag along to watch, so I did. That one day was all it took for me to completely swear off ever doing family law. That is the day that business law became my destination and I haven't looked back. The clients, the other lawyers and their clients. They were all just, ugh.

If it wasn't out of necessity for my own situation, I'd never have bothered getting informed on family law.

I was never married, so there was no celebrating that. I do look forward to not paying c/s, which I figure is anywhere from 6-7 years away. The first month I don't have to send the ex money, I am going to buy a bottle of 18y/o scotch and a nice cigar. Then I am going to sit on my patio and enjoy the financial freedom.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X