Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 AM

paladine1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies, people. Very much appreciated.

He tells me he's wealthy. He is also verbally abusive and a few days ago, putting me in my place, he screamed at me "I'm worth 2.5 million, and what are YOU!" I know his gross income is over 400,000 but he has business write offs, including house costs, we have a home office, that bring it down to 80,000 or so net. And he does a ton of cash but I can't prove that.

He has knocked my self esteem so low, constantly telling me he hates to fight, he'd rather punch someone in the head than fight...insinuating to me, if I stand up he'll lose his temper and hurt me. He has a violent past.

And you're right. If I knew he had the criminal record he does, I never would have gotten involved with him. I have no criminal record, I come from a family of law abiding good people.

How long does it take to get an interim order of support, roughly? And if he's abusive are there precautions taken for my protection? Honestly, I'm scared. I know he will not agree. He told me if I go after him for anything "It will be WAR". He had a vicious battle with his ex over custody, he dragged her through the mud...and won. All so he wouldn't have to pay child support to her. Poor lady is deceased now. We became friendly, she warned me, I didn't believe her. I know he also has 'connections' to people that would hurt me for him. He told me he had someone his Daughter dated beaten up and his teeth knocked out. My goodness...what a mess!

SO...there's a few thoughts from my jumbled mind...I leave it there for now...thank you...for trying to help me.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 AM

and the only reason I found out about his record, is because he had an impaired in 2006, two years after we began living together. I was not in the car with him but got a call from the police. I called a lawyer for him and supported him through the process. This was when I learned of the previous 8 impaireds and other charges...I felt shocked, yet, cornered. I was in so deep by then I couldn't see a way out.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 PM

I also wonder if I should make copies of paperwork with my writing or name on it? I fear he will deny all I've done.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road

Paper-trails are must in family law.Collect as much proof as you can for your participation
Closed Thread