This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too soon?

I like this kid, and having studied Canadian history - I am a huge fan of his father. I wish him well, but worry he has stepped into the spotlight a little too soon.

Either way, I like his style.

Justin Trudeau TV ads make pitch to end negativity | Toronto Star

His father was member of the Privy Council serving Prime Minister St. Laurent when he was 30 years old. He was elected to Parliament for the first time at age 46, and became Prime Minister at age 49.

Stephen Harper became a member of parliament at age 43, and Prime Minister at age 47.

Justin Trudeau became a member of parliament at age 37. He is now age 41. I believe he will be 43 when the next federal election is held.

Comment

With all due respect, his father, who I disliked for his attitudes and policies, was an intellect before he entered politics. PET was usually the smartest person in the room.

I'm not so sure about the son.

Comment

I think you'd feel the same way if he were 10 years older

Comment

Didn't like PET, but I respected him. Don't like NDP policies, but I respected and liked Jack Layton and Ed Broadbent.

So if I don't yet respect Justin, its because I haven't seen something in him to earn respect or admiration. His father had accomplished much by his age.

If he manages to succeed in lowering the amount of attack ads and returning some sense of civility back into politics, I would be suprised, delighted, and I would admire him.
          Last edited by DowntroddenDad; 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Someone mentioned approaching JT on divorce issues recently.

At the time, I was surprised that noone remarked that he was a "child of divorce" himself. Divorce is likely a "red button" issue for him personally. (It has been for me.)

He probably has more 'baggage' from his mom... maybe. No one mentions her these days.

Comment

Originally posted by sjandme View Post
              Someone mentioned approaching JT on divorce issues recently.

At the time, I was surprised that noone remarked that he was a "child of divorce" himself. Divorce is likely a "red button" issue for him personally. (It has been for me.)

He probably has more 'baggage' from his mom... maybe. No one mentions her these days.
              I fail to find any good reason to label someone a "child of divorce." To do so would seem like pointing a finger at the child and creating more burdens for him/her. Anyway, divorce/separation should be a non-issue in this matter. Probably half the kids in North America are being raised in non-intact homes.

As for the baggage, we all have it from our childhood, some more than others. His mom did announce 7 years ago that she had been suffering from bi-polar disorder, and since then, she has been a strong advocate in reducing the stigma of mental illness, the aforementioned one in particular.

Comment

Well quotation marks are used for various purposes when communicating in writing. Don't know if the reason was good or not.

His mother was married and perhaps divorced twice... I guess you thought of something different.

To draw out my points more... 1) he may have some sensitivity about divorce... I know I did... something that would impact on his perception of this as an issue AND 2) most people focus on the influence of his father, which is interesting to me anyway.

Personally I could not care less if someone referred to me as a "child of divorce" or not. It is a term that is out there - not exactly pejorative for most. Really.

Comment

I don't believe in "too soon" when it comes to politics. Given the type that run for government, it is hard to say whether or not it is ever "too soon"... whether they are 20, 30 or 60.

JT has spent his life in politics, which makes him versed in it. It is also believed he can revive the liberal brand, which is pretty much dead right now.

But he's done/said some stupid stuff and he hasn't established his own brand outside of being a Trudeau. So for now, he's just another young'ish liberal who happens to be the leader of the party. Yes, he does bring some charisma and youth to the table. But I'll take sound fiscal policy over that any day.....hence why I won't be voting red (or orange for that matter).

Comment

Trudeau Sr was a very intelligent man. He was quite the dashing figure and I do recall him coming to Edmonton on an election stopover. However, years later I certainly disliked many of his policies (National Energy Program, Multiculturalism, Bilingualism to name just a few).

I will be watching about the issue/future of the Senate which all parties seem to botch.

Justin seems to have the same charisma as his father. Will be interesting to watch him in the future.

Mother was a colorful individual in her youth. I particularly enjoyed all the stores about her partying with the Rolling Stones. Yes those were interesting times.

Comment

What the heck was JT doing in 1999? He wasn't in office... there really wasn't even an indication yet that he'd actually pursue that goal.

Yet apparently the Conservatives are taking a 1999 comment out of context (Justin Trudeau: Conservatives launch attack ad, ‘in over his head’ | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post):
                      The ad also highlights newly revived footage of an even more baby-faced Trudeau... in 1999 in which he says: “Quebecers are better than the rest of Canada because, ya know, we’re Quebecers or whatever.”

However, the entire clip reveals that Trudeau is actually paraphrasing his father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, on why Quebec doesn’t need special rights.
                      By virtue of his association to his father, he has been in the public eye for years. No doubt there is other "good stuff" to plunder.

But stay tuned... in the very near future, it should be just as easy to find clips, etc. from almost anyone - in which youthful "blunders" may or may not be exploited.

It would be interesting to see a young Stephen Harper spouting his views, say circa 1985. Nah, on second thought, it'd probably be boring.
                      Last edited by sjandme; 04-25-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                        What will be the right age then to become PM?

Lets not forget that Joe Clark was Canada's youngest prime minister (he was 39), but not for long. A budget with an 18-cent hike in gas taxes brought him down
                        When he was elected, I thought that 39 was ANCIENT. Now...I look at Justin Trudeau and think he looks so young and he's my age!

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
                          What will be the right age then to become PM?

Lets not forget that Joe Clark was Canada's youngest prime minister (he was 39), but not for long. A budget with an 18-cent hike in gas taxes brought him down
                          A proposed tax hike that was quickly surpassed when Trudeau came in with a majority. Joe tried to pass a tough budget when he was in a minority Parliament. It may have been the right thing to do fiscally, but if you don't have a chance of actually achieving it, what was the point?

I know Joe. I worked for Joe. He is a very bright guy, a thinker. But not so great in front of the cameras, not a ten second clip kind of guy.

Comment

Good thing for Lincoln then.... not much chance to splash that face all over the place.

(I'm taking your "face" comment in the spirit I believe it is intended... a) off the cuff and b) joking around. For anyone who might take offense.)

Comment

Originally posted by sjandme View Post
                              Because that never happens...lol. We are in much trouble, my fellow Canuckers...unfortunately, no matter which party is "leading" us, these days.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X