No announcement yet.

Opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They make more so what, that good for your daughter. she has one side that has their act together.

Great, you are working your way there but you are responsible for yourself and your actions.

We all can say "oh if I had only bought that lotto ticket or invested in such and such stocks, I would be a rich."

At one point in time, we have to take ownership of our actions and stop blaming others or comparing what stuff they have.

Many people work long and hard to get where they are and deserve to reap the benefits of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooddadbadbreak View Post
      I don't owe it!
      The final order states I don't have to pay child support!
      Have you tried staying in touch with her? Letters? Emails?

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post
        They make more so what, that good for your daughter. she has one side that has their act together.

Great, you are working your way there but you are responsible for yourself and your actions.

We all can say "oh if I had only bought that lotto ticket or invested in such and such stocks, I would be a rich."

At one point in time, we have to take ownership of our actions and stop blaming others or comparing what stuff they have.

Many people work long and hard to get where they are and deserve to reap the benefits of it.
        I'm fully aware HE is not her father, that I am!!!
        My girlfriend is currently supporting me, my child won't speak to me as the judge in his superior wisdom gave my child that right!!

Am I supposed to ask my girlfriend for money to support my daughter?
        She has bills to pay too!
        She works hard for her money, and can use it as she likes.
        She's kind enough to help me out, she knows the stress I've been through with my ex wife and court.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
          Have you tried staying in touch with her? Letters? Emails?
          I call her phone and leave messages.
          I've emailed her.
          She won't reply.

Comment

As parents we are responsible for our relationship with our children...not a judge or the other parent.

It is difficult to know why your daughter would not want to communicate with you as you have chosen to not provide more details.

Those details could very well be the reason for your daughter's lack of desire to communicate with you.
            Last edited by good_mom; 02-03-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

For the information about potential move; have you made a request for infromation to your ex via e-mail?

Comment

Originally posted by good_mom View Post
                For the information about potential move; have you made a request for infromation to your ex via e-mail?
                No I haven't yet.
                As I said earlier it's a rumour I heard.
                I need to know if I can block her moving before I confront her!!

My ex wife will only communicate with me in an emergency situation, or about the health or safety of my daughter anything else is ignored.
                She's special like that!

Comment

It is a material change in circumstance and you can file a motion to prevent the relocation of the child, but then a judge will determine, using the critea set out in Gordon v Goertz (best interests of the child) whether or not to grant the move.

You will need to provide evidence why the move isn't in the child's best interests. Your ex will have to provide evidence that it is in the child's best interests. A judge will determine based off of the evidence. But based on the info provided, it is unlikely you would be successful in preventing the move. The child doesn't see you regularly, you don't pay child support (notwithstanding income/employment) and you already live some distance apart. You will have a tough uphill climb to prove that the child's moving isn't in their best interests. It isn't impossible, just extremely difficult. If you had a regular relationship with the child and been exercising parenting time, your odds would be much better.

But all that said, all you have right now is rumor. Until you are told that they are moving, I wouldn't bother myself with it and I certainly wouldn't "confront" the ex about it. If you do get notice they intend to move, you reply that you don't consent to the relocation of the child and will seek an order preventing same. But I wouldn't stress over a "what if" or rumor.

Comment

Going to give you my honest opinion... I don't think you will have any help from the courts. You do not have a meaningful relationship with your daughter. You say this is because the Judge gave her the decision, but it seems your access was removed and one can assume (since you won't provide details) that it was for the safety and welfare of your child. You don't pay any Child Support... I find it hard to believe you cannot even find a part time job... Walmart, Tim Hortons, McDonalds... they are all hiring, always...

You have no access she the move will not affect the relationship with your daughter, since there is no relationship to begin with. If the move is for the Mother, or even her partner, to have a better job, then the chances of you stopping it are slim to none, seeing as they are the ones supporting your daughter.

The mother has no reason to communicate with you unless it is an emergency or about the health and safety of your daughter. She has no reason to communicate with you about access or about her life. Unfortunately somewhere along the way you made a mistake, which cost you the access to your daughter. It is unfortunate, but if you cannot take care of yourself, how can you take care of your daughter?

I assume you are on Ontario Works, since you don't work and don't pay child support. Your first step in getting your daughter back in your life is by getting your life on track. She is a teenager and can basically choose where she wants to go. There has been case law regarding teens not being able to decide, but in those cases I believe there was parental alienation going on, in your case a Judge took your access away years ago and then left the decision up to your daughter.

Since you asked for opinion.. it is my opinion that you should just not even both and let your daughter live the life she knows with her Mom and new spouse. It isn't the greatest for you, but this is about your daughter and not you.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                      It is a material change in circumstance and you can file a motion to prevent the relocation of the child, but then a judge will determine, using the critea set out in Gordon v Goertz (best interests of the child) whether or not to grant the move.

You will need to provide evidence why the move isn't in the child's best interests. Your ex will have to provide evidence that it is in the child's best interests. A judge will determine based off of the evidence. But based on the info provided, it is unlikely you would be successful in preventing the move. The child doesn't see you regularly, you don't pay child support (notwithstanding income/employment) and you already live some distance apart. You will have a tough uphill climb to prove that the child's moving isn't in their best interests. It isn't impossible, just extremely difficult. If you had a regular relationship with the child and been exercising parenting time, your odds would be much better.

But all that said, all you have right now is rumor. Until you are told that they are moving, I wouldn't bother myself with it and I certainly wouldn't "confront" the ex about it. If you do get notice they intend to move, you reply that you don't consent to the relocation of the child and will seek an order preventing same. But I wouldn't stress over a "what if" or rumor.
                      So I've been worrying for nothing about that clause in the separation agreement?
                      Thank you HammerDad!
                      I will do everything in my power to block it, if she does try to move!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
                        Going to give you my honest opinion... I don't think you will have any help from the courts. You do not have a meaningful relationship with your daughter. You say this is because the Judge gave her the decision, but it seems your access was removed and one can assume (since you won't provide details) that it was for the safety and welfare of your child. You don't pay any Child Support... I find it hard to believe you cannot even find a part time job... Walmart, Tim Hortons, McDonalds... they are all hiring, always...

You have no access she the move will not affect the relationship with your daughter, since there is no relationship to begin with. If the move is for the Mother, or even her partner, to have a better job, then the chances of you stopping it are slim to none, seeing as they are the ones supporting your daughter.

The mother has no reason to communicate with you unless it is an emergency or about the health and safety of your daughter. She has no reason to communicate with you about access or about her life. Unfortunately somewhere along the way you made a mistake, which cost you the access to your daughter. It is unfortunate, but if you cannot take care of yourself, how can you take care of your daughter?

I assume you are on Ontario Works, since you don't work and don't pay child support. Your first step in getting your daughter back in your life is by getting your life on track. She is a teenager and can basically choose where she wants to go. There has been case law regarding teens not being able to decide, but in those cases I believe there was parental alienation going on, in your case a Judge took your access away years ago and then left the decision up to your daughter.

Since you asked for opinion.. it is my opinion that you should just not even both and let your daughter live the life she knows with her Mom and new spouse. It isn't the greatest for you, but this is about your daughter and not you.
                        I am NOT on welfare!!!!
                        I am looking for work and right now my girlfriend is helping me out.

Comment

So I've been worrying for nothing about that clause in the separation agreement?
                          Thank you HammerDad!
                          I will do everything in my power to block it, if she does try to move!!!!!
                          Until you are told they are moving, I wouldn't worry. I assume the clause says something along the lines of she can't relocate with the child over X distance without your consent or court order. There will probably be some sort of notice provision to, but maybe not.

Should you get wind of an actual move, you can send notice to your ex that you don't consent to the relocation of the child and that according to clause X of the agreement, the child's residence shall be maintained within Y km's of your house (or whatever the clause provides). She will then have to file a motion in court to get the courts permission to move the child. Your success depends on you proving that the move is not in the kids best interests and it would adversely affect your relationship. It will be an uphill battle given what you've provided. To be honest, I don't think you be successful and it would likely cost you thousands in legal fees. Your legal fees, and depending on whether or not the judge deems your lack consent unreasonable, maybe your ex's legal fees.

But again, stewing over something that may happen isn't a productive use of your time and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
                            Until you are told they are moving, I wouldn't worry. I assume the clause says something along the lines of she can't relocate with the child over X distance without your consent or court order. There will probably be some sort of notice provision to, but maybe not.

Should you get wind of an actual move, you can send notice to your ex that you don't consent to the relocation of the child and that according to clause X of the agreement, the child's residence shall be maintained within Y km's of your house (or whatever the clause provides). She will then have to file a motion in court to get the courts permission to move the child. Your success depends on you proving that the move is not in the kids best interests and it would adversely affect your relationship. It will be an uphill battle given what you've provided. To be honest, I don't think you be successful and it would likely cost you thousands in legal fees. Your legal fees, and depending on whether or not the judge deems your lack consent unreasonable, maybe your ex's legal fees.

But again, stewing over something that may happen isn't a productive use of your time and energy.
                            This is word for word what it says!
                            It also became part of the final order.

We had lawyers draw up a separation agreement when we separated in 2008 it says
                            "if myself or my ex propose to change his or her residence 50kms from address XX he or she will give his or her new address and telephone number to the other"

By the look of it all she has to do is supply me with the address and phone number!!

I'm screwed!

Comment

my two cents

I don't owe it!
                              The final order states I don't have to pay child support!

As a father, whether you speak to your child or not, you are OBLIGATED to pay support.

Comment

Originally posted by DAHP_01_05_12 View Post
                                As a father, whether you speak to your child or not, you are OBLIGATED to pay support.
                                Thank you for your opinion!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X