This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal winter fair

It's on! Been here for 3 days - my drug addict kidlet dashed thru her physics and calculus midterms, and we trailered in her horse to compete..

If you have a chance bring your kidlets down, it's the best of the best and there are some amazing displays! (Plus there is rosti)

Arabian - have never seen any here, all warmbloods, thoroughbreds and some big honking westphalians

Ps msmom, if you read this, do consider staying as an active poster, quite a few of us have created a subculture via pm and email
    And as PH reminded me, some posters just aren't worth the effort.
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

a friend of mine shows cattle at the royal

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post

Ps msmom, if you read this, do consider staying as an active poster, quite a few of us have created a subculture via pm and email
      And as PH reminded me, some posters just aren't worth the effort.
      Ohhh neat...its like highschool cliques all over again...lame-o.

Comment

I wonder if I could hide a Clydesdale in my purse and bring one home? They are too cute ...
        Standing I went thru the cattle area this morning, they are more anal than we are about cleaning our horses/ they vacuum their cows.
        And if you stall here, in the mornings you can see the "cow parade" early every morning when honey come down the street ,,, it's hilarious to watch.

Comment

Congratulations McDreamy...those are hard subjects and they say there's a real gender gap with women in math and science so its especially something for her to be proud of accomplishing. I'm not close enough for the winter fair but it sounds awesome. Its getting a lot colder here this weekend but I just got back inside from trying to get ready for a 10k charity run in my area for December. My bf is putting up with me running at my crappy pace beside him while I try to get better. I'd rather be at the fair.

Comment

I wonder if I could hide a Clydesdale in my purse and bring one home? They are too cute ...
            Standing I went thru the cattle area this morning, they are more anal than we are about cleaning our horses/ they vacuum their cows.
            And if you stall here, in the mornings you can see the "cow parade" early every morning when honey come down the street ,,, it's hilarious to watch.
            I know its crazy, washing, clipping and all the other stuff to get animal ready for a show. I know that my friend is always saying how tired she is after a big show.

hmmm you must have a pretty big purse to hide one of those draft horses. I feel like a midget beside one of them.

Comment

I'm sure she is exhausted, I know I am. Today is our last day and when I get home tonight I'll sleep for the next 2/ She's probably on our schedule, stay to the end to night feed at 9 and then up at 4 and back for 5 am to clean muck braid and warmup, We drop dead at the hotel every night - but it's a good tired I'm glad we went this way with her extracurricular but I can't think straight right now .

PH - certainly not something I would have done but she's always been a math kid (and I've never been able to help her with homework, lol).
              I just asked, she says math and physics are far more boys, but chem and bio are half /half)
              Last edited by mcdreamy; 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM. Reason: Argh. Stupid phone and typos ..

Comment

I'm sure she is exhausted, I know I am. Today is our last day and when I get home tonight I'll sleep for the next 2/ She's probably on our schedule, stay to the end to night feed at 9 and then up at 4 and back for 5 am to clean muck braid and warmup, We drop dead at the hotel every night - but it's a good tired I'm glad we went this way with her extracurricular but I can't think straight right now .

PH - certainly not something I would have done but she's always been a math kid (and I've never been able to help her with homework, lol).
                I just asked, she says math and physics are far more boys, but chem and bio are half /half)
                What an experience for her! You also must be incredibly proud.

My daughter rides horses as well, although nothing close to this level. She's also a math wiz and a science nut. Dreaming of vet school one day.

And, I'm here to participate in the school-like cliques, for now. For the most part, this is group of incredibly intelligent adults and I do enjoy that.

Comment

Serious? Where does she ride? ( pm me..lol). We might know some of the same people, I've been on this crazy train for 12 years!
                  And I still love coming out to the barns and hanging with the animals, it's the first thing we do on Xmas morn_ hot mash apples and muck stalls

Comment

It sounds like a wonderful event!

Brings back memories of years spent showing. Early mornings, grooming, cleaning tack etc. - lots and lots of work.

Nice life. Good on you!

Comment

It's so bizarre Arabian, I've actually only seen one on our circuit -- a large pony who rocked the division kidlet was in many many years ago.

I thought of you when I was watching the roadsters [I don't know what horses they use and thought maybe arabian?]. Coming to a fair of this size really makes you realize how many other disciplines there are, and how little I know of each of them! I think you would have fun at the Royal.

Comment

It's so bizarre Arabian, I've actually only seen one on our circuit -- a large pony who rocked the division kidlet was in many many years ago.

I thought of you when I was watching the roadsters [I don't know what horses they use and thought maybe arabian?]. Coming to a fair of this size really makes you realize how many other disciplines there are, and how little I know of each of them! I think you would have fun at the Royal.
                        I've been to the Royal more times than I can remember.

My father's family farm was dairy, but one of his sisters married into a beef family, and his brother and nephew also got into it. So for a time the Royal was like a family reunion, and often I would see family competing against family. I've helped out, mucking stalls, leading cattle out to the corrals, whatever needs doing. My aunt is one of the best at primping cattle for show, and now her grandaughter has learned the tricks and has won grand reserve champion of show a few years back - not bad for a teenager.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X