Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off topic..looking for place to volunteer Xmas eve..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off topic..looking for place to volunteer Xmas eve..

Hey,. anyone know of someplace I can volunteer tomorrow? I don't have my girl until Christmas morning, and rather than spend Christmas Eve doing nothing I would like to help out somewhere. I'm in Brampton, would be willing to drive half an hour or so, just don't want to go into downtown Toronto.

Ideas?

I've had a crappy year, and I thought that givng back would end it on a high note...

I need my house cleaning badly - sadly I am about 45 minutes away.... ha ha! I guess it wouldn't really count as volunteer work anyway.

You could try your local drop in shelter or call the sally ann. Maybe a senoir's centre? Meals on wheels usually needs drivers.

What a lovely idea. I hope 2011 goes well for you and your family.
    Last edited by lumpy; 12-23-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Billie, that's really sweet of you!

Comment

Maybe, but I just don't want to be sad thinking about what I am missing out on. My girl will be with her dad and My own father passed away this year and we traditionally celebrated with him Christmas Eve, so I don't want to feel a huge hole...

Comment

I feel for you! This will be my first Christmas eve/morning without the kids and I now fully understand why so many people say Christmas is the saddest time of the year for them.
          Check out meetup.com and see if there are any meetup groups in your area that are focused on volunteering. We have a 'good deeds' group here in my town that I am a member of.

Comment

If you have church-going friends, maybe they would have some ideas on church-events. Or maybe meals on wheels needs extra drivers? Or maybe the CNIB would appreciate a hand? These are some of the things my dad used to get involved with.

Comment

Hey Billie,
              How about calling the nursing/retirement home that your dad was in and seeing if there was anything you can do there? Im sure there are alot of elderly people who have no family and maybe you can share some stories between your dad and his friends or set up to do something there.

Comment

I've thought of that, Tug, but I don't know if I can go there alone just yet. It's still a little raw. I was hoping to go carolling, but my sister is stuck in Collingwood and can't come with me.

If I find something I'll post it, in case anyone else wants to

Comment

Well, as far as charity cases go, I'm in need of a girlfriend (but don't meet your distance (or any other, for that matter) requirement!) Nyuk, nyuk

It's a noble think you're doing - my hat is off

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Thanks Gary.

How would you know what my requirements are?

At this point they are only limited by distance, as there is no way the ex would let me move away from the GTA...

Comment

Did you find anything? I volunteer at the homeless shelter, but recommend a few different Christmas ideas:

MADD
                      Operation Red Nose...providing safe sober rides home...although I do not recommend this one to single gals, for safety reasons...
                      Any Shelter or Food Bank, who can always use the help, year-round...not sure of the rest of the province, but over 40,000 people use the Ottawa food banks each month...
                      Any retirement centre...great idea to take the kids and pets there...so many people get lumped into the old age homes and forgotten...
                      Any home for teen mothers...like Nellie's, in Toronto.
                      Any hospice...often, families at Christmas cannot visit, due to the emotion, and a lot of people in hospices are left alone for the holidays.
                      There are also usually a toy fund/drive, and a winter clothing collection for the holidays that are great options.

If you have kids, I recommend getting them involved too, around 10-12 yrs old...it gives them an opportunity to learn a holiday message...while teaching global citizenship.

Comment

I didn't actually get out, everyone I contacted needed a police check done and I couldn't get that done quickly.

I did however donate to a family as my stepbrother did one of those adopt ones. And toys to Toy Mountain. Next year I'll plan ahead...

Comment

Security checks on individuals, so that they may participate physically for charity purposes, should be free, but sadly, comes with costs which is a detriment to many. Kudos to you Billi for your efforts and kind spirit.

Comment

I don't mind doing the security check. If I was in that situation, I would want some reassurance that the people helping me were "safe". I just didn't think about it early enough.

Comment

Originally posted by InterprovincialParents View Post
                              Did you find anything? I volunteer at the homeless shelter, but recommend a few different Christmas ideas:

MADD
                              Operation Red Nose...providing safe sober rides home...
                              This one also requires a background check, at least in Ottawa.

I'm also looking to help out, as my girlfriend will be gone the 24th and I won't get my kids till the 25th. I'm looking at the Ottawa Mission right now.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X