X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for a child to have counsel

Hi there,

My friend's ex has asked that their child have counsel. Not the OCL. The ex states there is 'high conflict' and that the child, 10 1/2 should be heard. There is not high conflict, at all. It stinks of a veiled attempt at getting sole custody. My friend is against this, as she is not wanting to put the child through invasive questioning, nor is there a need for it, since the child is is doing wonderfully. Are there any OTHER reasons a parent asks that their child have counsel? Can this be a good thing all around? for both parents and the child?

Well then your friend can simply disagree. I presume they have joint custody. Let the ex bring a motion to have the child represented on the grounds that there is high conflict and you can bring evidence show that there isn't any conflict.

If your friend doesn't agree then the only way the ex is going to have the child represented is to get a court order. And the court will order OCL involvement, probably not a lawyer.

Please try and keep your same questions within the same thread. It makes the story easier to follow.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X