This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a Trip...?

I was wondering, what is the best way to approach a vacation request when things aren't "the most amicable" with the ex...
    I have a chance to go south this winter for a great price, and I would very much like to take my 5 year old along with me. I know I need the ex's signature to take him out of the country (the form is in my sep. agreement), and I think it would be a great experience for my son, (Disney, SeaWorld etc.). I am unsure as to how my ex will react to the request, as it will require my son to miss a week of kindergarden. (I will get the scoop from the teacher as to what he will be missing while away, so he does not fall behind).
    I assume that I have no recourse if the ex refuses to sign off on the trip, correct?
    Any ideas how to best approach this sticky situation?
    Thanks in advance,

Let's see..in Kindergarten, he'll miss some cutting and pasting - wouldn't want to fall behind in THAT!

I would just come out and ask. Give her all the details up front. Do NOT tell your son until you have her agreement as that will be seen as putting pressure on her to agree.

If she is unreasonable, you can take her to court to get the access time and sign off.

Comment

Oh and I meant to also say...

If my ex wanted to take the kids somewhere special I would be THRILLED that they had the opportunity.

Comment

Very much deliver your request focusing on how it's a great opportunity for your child, and how this is a special chance for you to do this.

We were in the opposite situation with my son. Other parent took him out of kindergarten for one week to go on vacation. We agreed, with the understanding that this would not be happening again in the future. We understood they got a special deal, and only being kindergarten it wasn't that big of a deal to miss school. We told dad he would have to make sure he talked to the teacher and was caught up on any homework.

One other thing that we didn't have that would have been wonderful, would have been a phone call half way thru the trip, just to hear how it's going. I didn't speak to my son for 10 days and had no idea how he was. If you offer to do that, it would probably go a long way too.

Comment

Great suggestion on the phone call! I hadn't thought of that...
          I agree that if he has to miss school, better now than when he is in grade 4...
          I am keeping my fingers crossed, and will "pop the question" next exchange.
          I was thinking that if it were her making the request, I would be thrilled as well! I just hope she can see it that way as well...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X