This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punitive support payments

I hope someone can help with this issue.
    I have two boys 19 and 22 that live in Germany with their mother, last year she decided to sue me for support payments for both boys and the German court decided that I must pay both of them 1000 Euro (1700 C$) monthly plus wire transfer and exchange rate fees to the bank till they finish their education and that the court order will be enforced in Ontario Canada where I live. I have been trying to make these huge payments but now my income is much less as I changed jobs and I cannot make these huge payments anymore. I went to a couple of family lawyers here in Toronto to ask for their advice and their representation but they told me nothing can be done here and I have to find a German lawyer to represent me in front of the German court. I cannot afford to have a German lawyer represent me, I did some reaserach and the fees were 4000 Euros for court representation. What can I do? and if I cannot afford the payments can they put a lien on my residence or freeze my retirement plan (RRSP)? I know that one of my boys already has a part-time job and has a good income, but I cannot prove it.

Thank you,
    HS

Not knowing anything about German family law, it's hard to say but if it's anything like here, you're going to have to that German order changed to reflect your new lower income. Not the news you want to hear, but I don't know how you solve it otherwise.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X