Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Offer after the Trial but before the Judgment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Offer after the Trial but before the Judgment?

Hello

My offers to my stbx all stated they were available until 1 minute into the Trial or until withdrawn. That means that they are too late to accept, correct?

I am quite certain that some/many things will go my way. However, because I am self-representing and new at this, in hindsight, I didn't quite put things in the written submission (closing argument) that I would have liked (due to the space limitations imposed by the judge).

I would like to do an offer to my stbx, which he may find much more acceptable now after squirming for a few weeks and and me besting him considerably at trial in every way.

I just want that the dang thing over with and if I have to concede on some money things in order to get my life back on course sooner, then I think it's worth a shot. Our trial was done in Jan and submissions were filed by March 6.

Has this be done before by anyone successfully? what is the deadline/cut off point when we don't know the weight for the judgement.

I haven't quite figured out costs yet. I have an excellent case for bad faith.

Any ideas, thoughts (positive and constructive/negative) are all acceptable and welcome please.

Any stupid that I should be warned not to do?

In a word...help...please !!!

Thanks so very much

You say that you are self-representing? I can tell you this much, proving bad faith is extremely difficult even with proper documentation, judges aren't keen on punishing the offending party - no fault divorce and all that.

If you can settle now with a reasonable settlement that you can live with, you're better staying out of court where things can go 'screwy' real fast.

Comment

To correct my first post, I mean to say:

"Has this be done before by anyone successfully? what is the deadline/cut off point when we don't know the date for the judgement."

Janibel: It's bad faith, it's ugly, it's numerous emails entered into evidence that the stbx admitted under oath that he wrote.

AS to the offer issues:
      - has anyone ever done this successfully, offered between trial and judgment?
      - what should I know, do, or don't do?

Since judgment can take 6 months to come back, I should make my offer good for about 2 weeks or less, correct?

I may include for him to pay some costs because he is at risk of paying my full costs (I had 2 lawyers previously so we're talking $35,000 or more).

Or could I say that "here's the offer on what we agreed" and offer on consent to have the judge decide on costs?

I am considering doing this so we all can move forward.

I would appreciate all feedback here. Thank you
      Last edited by lancelot; 03-21-2015, 10:48 AM. Reason: fixing errors

Comment

It's bad faith, it's ugly, it's numerous emails entered into evidence that the stbx admitted under oath that he wrote.

AS to the offer issues"
        - has anyone ever done this successfully, offerred between trial and judgment?
        - what should I know, do, or don't do?

Since judgment can take 6 months to come back, I should make my offer good for about 2 weeks or less, correct?

I will include for him to pay some costs because he is at risk of paying my full costs (I had 2 lawyers previously so we're talking $35,000 or more). Or could I say that "here's the offer on what we agreed" and offer to agree on consent for us to have the judge decide on costs?

I am considering doing this so we all can move forward.

I would appreciate all feedback here. Thank you

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X