Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 PM

Rioe will become famous soon enough

You were common-law, not legally married? It's your name on title, not both? Give her polite notice, in writing like you were a landlord, that she is being evicted and this is her notice to move out within 60 days.

And of course, absolutely disengage your finances. Close all joint accounts. Right now. Move all your personal stuff to a room you can lock, or off premises until she's gone. Stay out of her way for the 60 days as much as you can, and wear a digital recorder at all times so that if you have to interact with her, it offers some protection against any false allegations of domestic violence.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 AM

NBDad is on a distinguished road

See a lawyer, and follow the steps I laid out in the other thread. The intent is NOT to force undue hardship on her by cutting off necessities such as heat/hot water, rather it's to force her to settle with you because the living arrangements are forcibly minimal.

You should be able to evict her, a lawyer will be able to guide you through the most effective manner.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 PM

pipewelder is on a distinguished road

i;ve got an apointment with a lawyer next week to find out my rights,if i can get her out ,but from what i've read it seems unlikley,just have to take it cool till i see what the lawyer says she is intitalled too.theres no sense in trying to talk to her,she is full of anger and that was the problem all along,was her temper is out of control.thanks rioe and nbdad for your comments.
Closed Thread