Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Pharah is on a distinguished road

Take a look at the below case. This guy was also in your position when he went to court and the Judge ordered a joint custody shared parenting arrangement.

CanLII - 2004 ONCJ 157 (CanLII)

I don't believe any child is to young for shared parenting unless they are still breast feeding and even then there are always options. It just depends on how much effort the child's parents are willing to make for their children's best interests.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 AM

I should also mention that my ex and I have had a shared parenting arrangement with our son since we separated in 2008, he is now 7. She applied for Sole Custody after finding out that I had gotten serious in a new relationship with a old friend, in January of 2009.

My son has 2 homes, 2 families and 3 parents. He enjoys his time at both homes and gets upset when there are unexpected charges to his schedule. Other then that, he's well behaved, has good grades and we both have a say in his upbring.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 AM

riverbag is on a distinguished road

We currently have a temporary Joint Custody order, and my Ex is working within that, but only that and nothing else. She has made it difficult if not impossible for me to attend activities of my oldest, will not deviate from the exact order (I can't pick them up from Daycare or pick up my oldest from school). I'm afraid I may get just that, which is nothing close to the relationship I had with the children pre separation. I know I shouldn't complain as there are parents on this forum with much less than I have, but I still believe that an equal custody order is best for the children. Am I asking for too much??
Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 AM

You have joint custody, so you can talk to their doctors, teachers and daycare workers and you don't need her permission. Try to get involved as much as possible, volunteer at your kids school/daycare for trips etc.

You are one of their custodial parents and the Judge will be looking to you to show you are worthy of that. Make sure your opinion is know on important matters and make sure it's all in writing (email).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM

riverbag is on a distinguished road

I have always been involved at school, daycare, doctors and dentists etc.. I have a file on both of my children since she left and have made every effort to be involved even when she has tried to keep me from being so (and I have proof of that). It's just that everywhere I read, the NCP rarely if ever get back what they lost, the ability to actually Parent their child. 72 days a year doesn't make a Parent....and that's the average amount of time NCP get with their children 72 days a year.
Closed Thread