This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting older.....custody..

Okay, my son is two- I am anticipating a long hull (next 16 years) of bittersweet communication with my ex. One thing that I am very afraid of is... what happens if my son wants to live with my ex? Because he is "cooler" or whatever... at what age does this happen, and how do you deal with it? I am terrified of losing my son to my ex one day- and don't know how i can cope with the thought... I know, cross one bridge at a time

di77ane,

It is good to anticipate at times and other times not. Raising a child is no easy task for anyone. Your child deserves to have both its parents in its life and in fact it is the child's right to have same. You can only encourage this unless their is something defintiely wrong with the other parent. Be the best parent you can be and most of all be child centred. Divorce and separation can mess a child up emotionally at any age. Divorced and Separated parents often see themselves as the winner if they have custody and the access parent as a loser. This is a wrong way to think. What is important is that the child or children have both parents involved in their life in a meaningful way throughout their lifetime. This is the moral value of a family unit. One important thing is for both parents to lose the bittersweet, put it behind them and work together for the sake of the child.

Comment

di77ane, I've got a brief article about this here:
      http://www.ottawadivorce.com/age.htm

But that's many years from now! I think it's a bit premature to start worry about that when your son is only two. In the meantime, follow logicalvelocity's recommendations. Also, I've got some more information here:
      http://www.ottawadivorce.com/childcustodyaccess.htm
      Ottawa Divorce

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X