This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support...contractor

What is a contractors child support based on in Ontario. By the time stuff is written off it shows under $20, O00 . It's legit stuff, basic truck payments, gas, tools etc. Before stuff is written off its about $60,000

Originally posted by LucyW View Post
    What is a contractors child support based on in Ontario. By the time stuff is written off it shows under $20, O00 . It's legit stuff, basic truck payments, gas, tools etc. Before stuff is written off its about $60,000
    What does line 150 of his income tax return say?....

Comment

Line 150 has f*ck all to do with a self-employed person's income. Most cases it's fabricated to lessen the taxes one has to pay. Truck payments may be legit write-offs for income tax purposes but if the payments are being made to purchase an asset you have to look at it in a different way. Normal Operating Expenses is a much fairer and accurate way to calculate net income in this case.

Comment

Gross is 38,000. ....line 150 is $9500

Comment

my whole point exactly - all bs. Who can live on 9,500.00 a year? Totally unrealistic. A good lawyer would make minced meat of that.

Comment

A good lawyer would shred the 150 apart and the next question would be if the "contractor" only makes 9,500.00 per year then is he possibly underemployed?

Comment

Does marriage and new children mean anything? I am the payor and have 3 new children, my ex (the recipient) is also remarried with more children. We had an agreement settled on outside the guidelines but now the recipient is going for more. We had filed the amount agreed upon in court officially, but now out of spite the recipient is filing to get more.

Comment

I would defer to experienced other posters here who have accurate information in that area.

Your ex might have a lousy lawyer and merely accept your 150 line income.

Sounds like you're a breader with little income. First children usually take priority.

Comment

Does marriage and new children mean anything? I am the payor and have 3 new children, my ex (the recipient) is also remarried with more children. We had an agreement settled on outside the guidelines but now the recipient is going for more. We had filed the amount agreed upon in court officially, but now out of spite the recipient is filing to get more.
                  No, it doesn't matter that either you or your ex went on to have more children with someone else. truth be told, if CS was a strain for you with the children you already had, you really should have considered that before deciding to have more.

Comment

That's what I was trying to say. Women are referred to as "breeders" but don't know what men who reproduce at random are called.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
                      That's what I was trying to say. Women are referred to as "breeders" but don't know what men who reproduce at random are called.
                      A stud???

Comment

The amount of child support was not an issue. $450 was agreed on and signed and filed in court. Decisions to have more children were based on that, budget...and also on the fact that my ex lives almost 2 hours away with my kids and also doesn't let me see or talk to them. I feel like I am allowed to have children too and be with them just like anyone else, try to have a normal life. My ex and children are very well taken care of in their new situation but like I said, out of their continuous efforts in trying to make my life a living hell they are going to court to try and get $1100 out of me. I live paycheck to paycheck already and my family will be out of a home if I have to pay more. I live extremely modest and am very happy how we live, just to be with a good person and able to be a good parent to the children I have been given a second chance to. It was not my fault I lost my two oldest children, and I deserve to have a family just like my ex does.

Comment

The amount of child support was not an issue. $450 was agreed on and signed and filed in court. Decisions to have more children were based on that, budget...and also on the fact that my ex lives almost 2 hours away with my kids and also doesn't let me see or talk to them. I feel like I am allowed to have children too and be with them just like anyone else, try to have a normal life. My ex and children are very well taken care of in their new situation but like I said, out of their continuous efforts in trying to make my life a living hell they are going to court to try and get $1100 out of me. I live paycheck to paycheck already and my family will be out of a home if I have to pay more. I live extremely modest and am very happy how we live, just to be with a good person and able to be a good parent to the children I have been given a second chance to. It was not my fault I lost my two oldest children, and I deserve to have a family just like my ex does.
                          Then you made a mistake... if you agreed upon a lower amount than what the CS tables dictated, the ex has every right to come back and ask for the correct CS... CS is the right of the child and you should have been paying the correct amount all along... what the life style of the ex and their new partner is, means nothing in your situation. If the ex is with someone who can provide them and the children an excellent life... that is great! But it does not take away from your responsibility.

You can't blame the ex for everything... the relationship broke down, and I don't care what anyone says... it takes two people for a relationship to end...while one may instigate it, both parties are the cause.

No one said you couldn't have more children, but your new family does not mean you get to forget about your older children. The first family always trumps the second. I am in a relationship where my bf has 2 young children, we are living comfortably, but I am well aware that unless one of us makes a drastic change in our employment, we may never have children together. I am in my early 20s, have always wanted children, but my feelings and wants have been put on hold to support his children from his previous marriage. Do I feel like it is sometimes unfair? Of course I do... there are many people out there who have children, who don't deserve them, however I also realize that it is not the children's fault their relationship broke down and the children should not go without because we want to have more children.

We have started to build our life like we will have more (just bought a house with extra bedrooms and such), but it may never happen for us. His kids live 3 hours away from us, we see them EOW, it sucks, he feels like a bad Dad some days, he tries to call all the time and is denied, but he knows he is supporting his children and when we have them, we make the best of it.

That may have seemed harsh, but that is the reality... if you go to court over this, you will lose... that law is the law and you are no exception.

Comment

We were 50/50 and he moved out of area, I am trying to run business

Two years ago my ex and I were 50/50 custody and very amicable, no legal action etc. No support exchanged either way. Then he moved in with his girlfriend 30 minutes north and gave up equal custody. He fought like crazy to pay the table amount for his "stated" income (I didn't make him show financials first year of this). THen last year I forced him up a bit after analyzing financials. My biggest issue is that now trying to run my large business while having the kids 95% of the time is not properly reimbursed by his support. It has really impacted my profit in my business and my own health as I now have to burn the candle at both ends. Suggestions?

Comment

Um...you're kidding, right? And what on earth would you do if he passed away? Just because he exists does NOT mean he should be reimbursing you for parenting. One would assume when you chose to have your children that you expected to parent, and one would assume that when you decided to open a business you would work. It might have behooved you at the time to consider how you would manage your children and a business on your own, should you ever find yourself in that position.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X