This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG the Lawyer's Fees!

I just got my first bill from my lawyer and OUCH! I had no idea things were racking up like that because last time I asked him how my retainer was doing, he said fine, and now it's all run out and I still owe him a ton and we're not even done yet! He charged me $9 to read an email I sent him informing him that I was unable to attend an upcoming appointment! Makes me wonder what the heck I would have been charged had I simply not shown up...

I've worked so hard behind the scenes on my financial statement, triple checking that everything is right and organized and presented it to him ready to go, and I get charged for the couple of hours it took him to redo all my calculations to make sure they were right! And I've seen him at his computer during appointments and it's agonizing how slow he is. He seems knowledgeable, quick to understand my viewpoints, sensible at getting me up to speed and experienced at divorces, but it's torture watching him hunt and peck on his keyboard. I thought I was reducing reliance on him by doing as much of it myself as I could but if he's just going to redo it anyway at a snail's pace, what's the point?

I tell you, I'm in the wrong business...

I know exactly what you mean. I got rid of my lawyer after paying her a total of $10,000.00 to get nowhere. I have been representing myself now for almost a year. The divorce is still moving slowly but at least I am not paying ridiculous lawyer fees. I started to resent my lawyer as I felt she was using me to pay for her nice car and expensive holidays. I certainly did not feel she had my best interests in mind. I would do three hours of work, she would do next to nothing and then charge me several hundred dollars. I was so glad to say goodbye to her. More and more people are chosing self representation- especially in Quebec.

Comment

As much as possible try to go through the secretary to check on simple stuff like has something been received, when is something due, etc.

When you do your financials (too late now) insist that they be left as is and if the other party disputes anything you will consider corrections. As long as you are sure the numbers are sound and you have statements attached. What on earth did the lawyer actually change to cost that much? Some offices want to enter the numbers into software and print out a typed version, which I kind of understand but it should not cost anywhere near that much. My ex kept turning in messed up scrawl in her own handwriting, including to court, and believe me the numbers didn't add up.

Make a strict instruction to your lawyer that no work is to be done or steps taken without your approval. Don't do things piecemeal, call the receptionist at the start of the month, make an appointment for a phone consultation. That avoids being charged for phone-tag. Have a list in front of you and keep an eye on the egg timer you will have by the phone. Control the agenda, this is your agenda, you have the topics written out, deal with them one-by-one, don't get distracted, find out what the next steps are, ask the time and cost, approve them if you think it is reasonable. Do this each month and get the amount of work done you can afford. Unfortunately separation/divorce can drag out for months and years, but at least this means you can spread out your costs monthly.

Treat your lawyer like a contractor doing renovations. Don't just point at your house and say "Fix it". Decide what you want done, find out the cost and only approve the amount of work you want done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
        Treat your lawyer like a contractor doing renovations. Don't just point at your house and say "Fix it". Decide what you want done, find out the cost and only approve the amount of work you want done.
        Mess you always give good advice. And you do it in a very catchy, useful and relevant way.

Comment

Once I get enough posts, I'll collect them all and make it a book.

Comment

Until then, and at the risk of hijacking this thread, I can be found on MSN Hearts as swilly100.

Comment

When you get enough "Mess-isms" put together, you should. Hell if that dude on twitter "SH*t my dad says" can get a book deal, I'm sure you could.

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                When you get enough "Mess-isms" put together, you should. Hell if that dude on twitter "SH*t my dad says" can get a book deal, I'm sure you could.
                https://litigation-essentials.lexisn...83bc11ef200595

Something to think about...

Lexis® Web - Results for "ottawa divorce"

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                  As much as possible try to go through the secretary to check on simple stuff like has something been received, when is something due, etc.

When you do your financials (too late now) insist that they be left as is and if the other party disputes anything you will consider corrections. As long as you are sure the numbers are sound and you have statements attached. What on earth did the lawyer actually change to cost that much? Some offices want to enter the numbers into software and print out a typed version, which I kind of understand but it should not cost anywhere near that much. My ex kept turning in messed up scrawl in her own handwriting, including to court, and believe me the numbers didn't add up.

Make a strict instruction to your lawyer that no work is to be done or steps taken without your approval. Don't do things piecemeal, call the receptionist at the start of the month, make an appointment for a phone consultation. That avoids being charged for phone-tag. Have a list in front of you and keep an eye on the egg timer you will have by the phone. Control the agenda, this is your agenda, you have the topics written out, deal with them one-by-one, don't get distracted, find out what the next steps are, ask the time and cost, approve them if you think it is reasonable. Do this each month and get the amount of work done you can afford. Unfortunately separation/divorce can drag out for months and years, but at least this means you can spread out your costs monthly.

If the ex has a lawyer and you are a self rep;

As much as possible try to go through their lawyer to check on simple stuff like has something been received, when is something due, etc.

When you do your financials (too late now) insist that they can be changed as much as they like and if the other party disputes anything you will consider corrections. As long as you are unsure of the numbers and you have statements somewhere. Who cares "What on earth did the lawyer actually change to cost that much?" Some offices want to enter the numbers into software and print out a typed version, which I kind of understand but it should not cost anywhere near that much so just in case, ask them to do it again. Me, I kept turning in messed up scrawl in my own handwriting, including to court, and believe me the numbers didn't add up

Make a strict instruction to their lawyer that no work is to be done or steps taken without your approval. Do things piecemeal, call the lawyer at the start of every month, don't make an appointment for a phone consultation. That avoids being charged for phone-tag. Have a list in front of you and keep an eye on the egg timer you will have by the phone, ask about the lawyers children, talk about the weather, etc. Control the agenda, this is your agenda, you have the topics written out, deal with them one-by-one, don't get distracted, find out what the next steps are, ask the time and cost, approve them if you think it is reasonable. Do this each month and get as little the amount of work done they can't afford. Fortunately separation/divorce can drag out for months and years, but at least this means you can spread out their costs monthly.

Treat their lawyer like a Roman Catholic Priest raping your children's future. Don't just point at their house and say "Hail Mary". Decide that you want equality.....

Comment

An interesting position in the Markham area.

https://reedelsevier.taleo.net/caree.../jobdetail.ftl

leverage.

Comment

I would definitely buy your book. Let me know when it comes out Mess.

But in respect to the lawyers fees. I would agree with others who have already posted. Try and do as much as you can by yourself in respect to any paperwork and even researching relevant cases. You might also want to pick and choose when you want your lawyer to appear on your behalf. For example, you might consider self representing at a case conference if there is no agreement on consent. The cost of legal fees sky rockets with each court appearance. I've been self representing on some issues and using the lawyer on the more critical stuff.

Nadia
                      Last edited by Nadia; 08-30-2010, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Very funny SillyMe.

Too bad it's true that vindictive assholes will do that if only because they are carrying a huge cross. Even more too bad that the kids suffer while tension and expense mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia View Post
                          But in respect to the lawyers fees. I would agree with others who have already posted. Try and do as much as you can by yourself in respect to any paperwork and even researching relevant cases. You might also want to pick and choose when you want your lawyer to appear on your behalf. For example, you might consider self representing at a case conference if there is no agreement on consent. The cost of legal fees sky rockets with each court appearance. I've been self representing on some issues and using the lawyer on the more critical stuff.
                          I imagine lawyers will advise against being excluded from parts of the process, but I'll keep that in mind! At this point I'm still hopeful we can keep out of court entirely, as the ex and I are currently in agreement about the ideas, if not the legal wording (at least until his lawyer starts arguing, I suppose).

There's a few unusual aspects of our case that make it fit poorly with existing family law, and when I poured out the whole story to the lawyer originally, his eyes kind of lit up at the chance to handle a precedent-setter in court. Needless to say, I will not be financing his chance to get famous in family law circles.

Anyways, I'm coping with the 'sticker shock' aspect of seeing all these ridiculous charges, and will be using all your advice to minimize it from here on in! Crazy to think that any other profession considers much of these items the cost of doing business and absorbs it themselves, and yet law offices can get away with billing for it. And any other profession, you see the costs up front instead of just putting down a mysterious 'retainer' fee.

Thanks!

Comment

If you retain a lawyer, right from the get go purchase a book to keep a log of appointments, letters, court documents with a lawyer. Also keep all documents, i.e. letters, emails, phone calls and compare IMMEDIATELY when you receive their bill.

Stay away from the emotional side of your divorce, lawyers dont want to hear it and trust me, they dont care!!

Try to get to a case conference as soon as possible, negotiations ONLY make lawyers rich. Unless you and your ex are completely amicable, you will be broke in no time!

Find a lawyer who is well experienced. Lawyers with 5 years experience and under are still cutting their teeth and will cut into your pocket book to prove they are working for the firm.

Take care

Comment

On the corporate side, for some, it appears billable hrs are being scrutinized.

Clock ticking on hourly billing

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X