This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Common Law Marriages

I have a question about common law marriages. Suppose I agree to live together with someone in common law and raise children, are we legally married?

Nope. Your still common-law. Having children together does not legally make you married although it will speed up how quickly you are considered to be in a common-law relationship. You're only legally married if you get a marriage license and go through the remaining motions (it can be as elaborate as you want or a quick trip down to the courthouse).

Comment

Are they your children? I am paying for 2 children that are not mine after 8 yrs of marriage. We also had 2 other children in the marriage. I live with my new girlfriend now but I wanted a prenuptial before I moved into HER house. Prenuptial don't cover children that are living in the house. After 3 months you could be deemed the care giver of those children if the blood father isn't taking care of them. I found out all this the hard way.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X