Question - conference cancellation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - conference cancellation

How can I cancel an upcoming conference, let's say for an unforseen reason like being sick, is there another form other than 14C to fill out or do I have to call the court clerk as well? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk

Um...if you're planning to be sick ahead of time it isn't really an unforeseen reason. And you'd want to look at rescheduling rather than canceling.

Comment

No, I'm not trying for planning to be sick ahead of time, how can I reachedule it, I basically need to by more time, it's crucial.

Comment

I basically need to by more time, it's crucial.
        Ask the other side to adjourn.

If they say no, go to the conference and ask to adjourn - but if you aren't ready, you may be ordered to pay the other side's costs of the conference.

Comment

I already served all forms to the other party, but I didn't submit the confirmation form 14C yet. What other option do I have besides going to the conference and asking to adjourn it? Like I said I need to buy more time.

Comment

I need to buy more time.
            The reason why is material.

Comment

No, it's not that, I have to fix something before proceeding with the conference, it's critical. I can't explain here unless I send you a pm.

Comment

Decisions are not made at conferences. If the reason for delay would make an impact on negotiations, you could attend the conference and seek an Order that there be a further conference once the matter is cleared up.

If you don't show up - note or not - you can be liable for costs, particularly if delay prejudices the other side (for example, if support isn't being paid).

Comment

I just sent you a pm.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
                    If you don't show up - note or not - you can be liable for costs, particularly if delay prejudices the other side (for example, if support isn't being paid).
                    Also, a judge can make an order for Child Support at a conference provided financial information. Some are even making the orders with incomplete information.

Excellent guide on everything about case conferences. Still mostly relevant today even though dated 2007:

http://www.yorklaw.ca/dat/content/Ca...%20Handout.pdf
                    Last edited by Tayken; 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

This is a combined settlement conf/trial management conf, basically I just want to adjourn it. So as I understand correctly I have to contact the other party for an adjourn on consent, if they deny then at the conference I'll look for an order to adjourn it, correct?

Comment

a judge can make an order for Child Support at a conference provided financial information.
                        Corollary: If it is not on consent, a judge can only make an Order that periodic payments continue - FLR 17. However, if they Order guideline child support, the only way to change that would be to bring an appeal - which would be heard about the same time as the motion for guideline child support, making the point moot.

It is not uncommon for lawyers to seek this, or some judges to Order it, because everyone "knows" it will happen anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
                          Corollary: If it is not on consent, a judge can only make an Order that periodic payments continue - FLR 17. However, if they Order guideline child support, the only way to change that would be to bring an appeal - which would be heard about the same time as the motion for guideline child support, making the point moot.

It is not uncommon for lawyers to seek this, or some judges to Order it, because everyone "knows" it will happen anyways.
                          Are you talking about 17.(8).(b.1).(vi) correct?

(vi) an order continuing the payment of periodic amounts required to preserve an asset or a benefit to one of the parties and the children;

Comment

That is correct.

Comment

Child support is not an issue, this is paid periodically.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X