No announcement yet.

Tax credit amounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cra website said each parent can claim credits up to the limit but it means if you spent $1000 you can split it. It works for parents who have a lot of activities and are limited to the $500. You might have done it wrong. For my partner, he would claim the amount he paid if he was eligible.

At least thats how i read it. Kind of like medical benefits. For amounts paid over insurance that could be claimed, he would only claim the portion he paid. (Its not enough to make a difference on his taxes so he doesnt do it).

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      The cra website said each parent can claim credits up to the limit but it means if you spent $1000 you can split it. It works for parents who have a lot of activities and are limited to the $500. You might have done it wrong. For my partner, he would claim the amount he paid if he was eligible.

At least thats how i read it. Kind of like medical benefits. For amounts paid over insurance that could be claimed, he would only claim the portion he paid. (Its not enough to make a difference on his taxes so he doesnt do it).
      On mid to higher household incomes, all of these credits, etc. become quite silly really.

You don't have to make a lot to exempt yourself out of CTC/GST. The sports credit is a non-refundable tax credit - which means it's there to reduce income. $500 on an income of $20000 is significant, on an income of 100 000 it is quite negligible.

As for medical expenses, calculate 3% of your annual income. That number is now the minimum you must be paying to receive any tax relief from claiming medical expenses.

If the ex is making $60G a year or more, I wouldn't even bother trying to recoup credits from their tax refunds. It's petty.....like the $9 my ex's lawyer found.

Comment

Thanks MS Mom. I was obviously confused between per-household credits and per-kid credits.

Just double-checked our divorce order. It says that I claim all tax benefits associated with the kidlet for which I am eligible in even-numbered years, and her father claims them in odd-numbered years. So I'm thinking I did the right thing last year, when I claimed these credits for 2012, but I shouldn't do it again this year, as it's the 2013 tax return and thus his turn to claim them. Got it. I suppose I could give him a hard time for claiming them in 2012, but it hardly seems worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by stripes View Post
          Thanks MS Mom. I was obviously confused between per-household credits and per-kid credits.

Just double-checked our divorce order. It says that I claim all tax benefits associated with the kidlet for which I am eligible in even-numbered years, and her father claims them in odd-numbered years. So I'm thinking I did the right thing last year, when I claimed these credits for 2012, but I shouldn't do it again this year, as it's the 2013 tax return and thus his turn to claim them. Got it. I suppose I could give him a hard time for claiming them in 2012, but it hardly seems worth the effort.
          I'm no tax accountant or anything, but that's how it was explained to me by an accountant.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. The one CRA is always on the look out for is whether you've both claimed the dependent amount. That audit happened to us....wasn't fun. Big yadda yadda between the hubby and his ex about who was entitled, etc., since they had no formal agreement in place. Unfortunately for his ex, it uncovered that she was claiming "equiv to spouse" for their child, despite being in a common-law relationship. So, his claiming the child as dependent really upset the apple cart, because it led to her being questioned as well as him.

Comment

Originally posted by MS Mom View Post
            I'm no tax accountant or anything, but that's how it was explained to me by an accountant.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much. The one CRA is always on the look out for is whether you've both claimed the dependent amount. That audit happened to us....wasn't fun. Big yadda yadda between the hubby and his ex about who was entitled, etc., since they had no formal agreement in place. Unfortunately for his ex, it uncovered that she was claiming "equiv to spouse" for their child, despite being in a common-law relationship. So, his claiming the child as dependent really upset the apple cart, because it led to her being questioned as well as him.
            MSMom, you are psychic, because I fear that's exactly what's coming down the pike for me this tax season.

Our divorce order says that the plaintiff (me) will claim the AED in even-numbered years and the defendant (ex) will claim in odd. However, "if one party is ineligible to claim the AED, it shall be claimed by the other party". Ex has remarried, which makes him ineligible to claim AED, according to CRA rules. I have not (and am not living common-law).

According to me, this means that I claim the AED this year, even though it's an odd tax year, because he's not eligible and I am. But according to ex, I have to give him the cash value of the AED this year and in years to come, because he is entitled to the financial benefits of having D8 as a dependent. He even helpfully provided me with a schedule of twelve monthly payments by which I could transfer "his" deduction to him.

My response is that if he thinks he's still eligible for the AED despite being married, nothing stops him from claiming it on his return, and let CRA sort it out. However, I have no obligation to give him my tax refund, as I'm already paying offset CS and proportionate S7, which fulfills my financial obligations to him. We shall see how this plays out. Not looking forward to another round of ranting emails from him...

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X