What's your score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your score?

When he told me his credit score was 793, he might as well have told me he had a private jet," recalls Lauren, a county employee in Georgia who asked that her last name not be used. "It was such a turn on

While it sounds calculating and cold, it makes sense," says Anthony Sprauve, director of public relations for myFICO.com. "A credit score gives you an indication of how someone handles their finances; a high credit score is the key to your financial future, but a low credit score could be an indicator of potential issues that need to be discussed

If you're looking at building a life together, you need to know the details of each other's finances," says the site's owner, Niem Green. "If you can't buy your dream house or the interest rates are ridiculous or all of the loans and credit cards need to be in one person's name [because their spouse has bad credit], it can affect a relationship."

"The younger generation is starting to realize that it's important to be proactive about their financial stability by keeping their own scores high and finding a partner who also has a high score," Green says.

The problem: Not everyone is willing to share their score.

Looking for Mr /Mrs FICO

A good credit score isn't an indicator of wealth. Its an indicator of responsibility. I have a pretty good score, but I'm not wealthy by any means.

You could have a great credit score on minimum wage, if you were very careful.

Comment

I check my credit report regularly. However I haven't checked my score in about 2 years. At the time I had a pretty good score and I was loaded in debt, although it was all current. It can only have gotten better since my separation IMO.

Comment

A good credit score isn't an indicator of wealth.
        True....where did anyone say it does??

You could have a great credit score on minimum wage, if you were very careful
        BINGO....the article alludes to good money management and responsibility.

I think the take away is that....don't go in blind into any relationship i.e. get swept away by infatuation that soon wears out, and then reality sets in when you have to really start dealing with paying bills and everything else.

Nobody wants to be having to carrying anybody, and if you ignore the redflags from the get go, then you might get burned...AGAIN. There is no doubt that unfortunately the world is full of people that are looking to rely on others.

You hear some people say I can't be on my own, as their way of saying they need someone to carry them, and if a person won't get married again, they don't want nothing to do with them.

One of the root cause of this problem <---------

Apple trees yield Apples (A good redflag indicator perhaps)

Comment

I've never checked mine, but when I opened a new bank account post-separation, the bank people were impressed. But yeah, people value wealth far more than they value fiscal responsibility.

I still maintain that asking for a credit check, CPIC and doctor's note are an integral part of the dating process.

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
            True....where did anyone say it does??
            Lauren in the first quote would seem to think so.....
            When he told me his credit score was 793, he might as well have told me he had a private jet," recalls Lauren, a county employee in Georgia who asked that her last name not be used. "It was such a turn on

Comment

Additionally, other important redflags for me include:

1. No smoking (that means never smoked, and done drugs
              2. No heavy drinker i.e. doesn't drink every week getting drunk
              3. Pet owner (doesn't fit into my lifestyle)
              4. A person with a daughter (personal reasons)
              5. no university degree (associate degree doesn't count). It seems people lie about this a lot for some reason. Reason: It helps earning potential
              6. From a divorce home (Again, think Apple trees make Apples). In most cases, the cycle continues. Ironic I know as we are here,
              Last edited by FWB; 01-07-2014, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FWB View Post
                Additionally, other important redflags for me include:

1. No smoking (that means never smoked, and done drugs
                My ex never smoked or did drugs. That made her better than everyone else in her eyes.
                2. No heavy drinker i.e. doesn't drink every week getting drunk
                I'd rather date a drinker than a tea totaler but moderation is always nice.
                3. Pet owner
                Someone who can't take care of a pet wouldn't be able to take care of anyone else either.
                4. A person with a daughter (personal reasons)
                Their daughter would get along fine with my daughter.
                5. no university degree (associate degree doesn't count). It seems people lie about this a lot for some reason
                I don't date liars, but I also don't date academic chauvanists.
                6. From a divorce home (Again, think Apple trees make Apples). In most cases, the cycle continues
                And we're ones to talk...
                I agree with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
                  A good credit score isn't an indicator of wealth. Its an indicator of responsibility. I have a pretty good score, but I'm not wealthy by any means.

You could have a great credit score on minimum wage, if you were very careful.
                  This is very true, and minimum wage workers are MORE likely to have a better credit rating than wealthy people. Why? Because your credit score is based on how good of a 'credit client' you are AKA, how much money creditors can make off you.

For example: If you pay off your credit cards in full monthly, the creditors make little to no money off you. Yes, it shoes that you are financially responsible, but you don't make for a great client because, after all, creditors are in business to make money. You get a lower credit score.

If you carry a balance on your credit cards and only make the minimum monthly payments, you're a great credit client and they are making money off you, so you get a higher credit score.

In essence, your credit rating isn't a measure of fiscal responsibility, it's how the creditors determine how much money they can make off you.

Comment

If you carry a balance on your credit cards and only make the minimum monthly payments, you're a great credit client
                    Bingo....and here lies the problem for some people due to the number of creditors, missed / non payments

Comment

Difference of opinion -> disagreement -> argument -> fight -> ultimatums -> war -> game and relationship over.

One of the things you want to become aware of is how you as a couple deal with a difference of opinion. Couples with the best chance of success are those where a difference of opinion may escalate to a disagreement, but where it doesn't escalate further into an argument, then a fight, then ultimatums and then war.
                      Oh yes...time to take those rose-tinted glasses off

Early on you may not experience this while your relationship is temporarily inoculated by the lingering smoke that got in your eyes when you fell in love. However, you can get a "smoke-free" preview of your relationship when you observe how your partner reacts to any of the following 10 situations where their true self comes out in their reactions:
                      1. Before and after conversations with either of their parents (be wary of people who can't stand their parent of the opposite sex).
                      2. To accidentally being cut off in traffic
                      3. To having to wait for something for a long period of time
                      4. To suddenly being told they have to do something extra at work
                      5. To being criticized, kidded or teased by anyone
                      6. To seeing someone in obvious distress or pain (e.g., do they even fail to notice it?)
                      7. To people who have been kind and generous to them (e.g., do they fail to appreciate or thank such people?)
                      8. To leaving tips after being served at hotels and restaurants
                      9. To being accidentally shortchanged on paying a bill (e.g., do they go ballistic about it?)
                      10. To finding a $20 bill on the ground (e.g., do they hesitate at all to see who might have dropped it?)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X