Family Law Rules/CS/SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
    Oh my god. There is a lot about taxes that is irrelevant or unnecessary that is a waste of reporting. Like medical expenses. Unless your expenses are a specific percent of your income you don�t get a deduction so there�s no point in claiming them. Same with receipts for work shit that isn�t eligible. Or too many charitable donations. Why would you waste your time claiming something that has zero impact on your taxes. Child support DOES NOT IMPACT YOUR TAXES IN ANY WAY. You are wasting your time filling it out. It doesn�t matter if the guide tells you HOW to fill it out, if it is IRRELEVANT then there is no need to actually put it in there.

CRA doesnt give a crap if you follow your agreement. They don�t have anything ok file or enough people to enforce anything. They are not the family court. You could claim shit on your taxes and the only way they would know it is wrong is if they audited you.
    I have told the CRA exactly this - the CS doesn't influence my taxes, why you asking me to report it and not just report it, but to provide you proof of payments - they said they want to control if I paid it. I told them there is a FRO for this, and stop duplicating them, but CRA insisted it is their role. Which has triggered this topic in a first place - both FRO and CRA now control your CS payments.

Comment

Originally posted by respondent View Post
      I have told the CRA exactly this - the CS doesn't influence my taxes, why you asking me to report it and not just report it, but to provide you proof of payments - they said they want to control if I paid it. I told them there is a FRO for this, and stop duplicating them, but CRA insisted it is their role. Which has triggered this topic in a first place - both FRO and CRA now control your CS payments.

No they don’t and if they are telling you that it’s because you mixed something up. You report spousal alone and if they have questions you provide your order. There should be no interaction with CRA other than filing your taxes.

I have a feeling you misunderstood something or told them something incorrect leading to their response.

Comment

No they don�t and if they are telling you that it�s because you mixed something up. You report spousal alone and if they have questions you provide your order. There should be no interaction with CRA other than filing your taxes.

I have a feeling you misunderstood something or told them something incorrect leading to their response.
        there is nothing incorrect to tell - you upload them a court order with your CS/SS, and them coming asking you about your CS payment. I am talking to CRA more often than to my lawyer now (at least CRA doesn't charge...). My case with CRA has been several time escalated, reviewed and so on - they came back with the verdict - do report both CS and SS, as they want to match it against the court order.
        In the form 1158 they clearly ask for your child support payment if court order was made after 1997, I did put a link. Not sure what here to argue about, it is official form from CRA

Comment

Originally posted by respondent View Post
          there is nothing incorrect to tell - you upload them a court order with your CS/SS, and them coming asking you about your CS payment. I am talking to CRA more often than to my lawyer now (at least CRA doesn't charge...). My case with CRA has been several time escalated, reviewed and so on - they came back with the verdict - do report both CS and SS, as they want to match it against the court order.
          In the form 1158 they clearly ask for your child support payment if court order was made after 1997, I did put a link. Not sure what here to argue about, it is official form from CRA

Theres obviously more to your case then which requires all of this.

Comment

Theres obviously more to your case then which requires all of this.
            I obviously can't read CRA employees minds, but they ask only about CS/SS and nothing else. My prior income taxes were no different than when I didn't have this order, I am on a T4, no cheating on business expenses, non existing subcontracts and so on. And if I read their instructions on the canada web, they clearly ask for both CS and SS reporting, so I don't have reason not to believe them.

Comment

https://www.ontario.ca/page/set-up-o...support-online

This option has been available for years. Unfortunately not for offset, but should work in your case for $80.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X