No announcement yet.

Good case for 50-50 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only relevance it may have, outside of getting a divorce faster, is if you encourage her spending time with him.

We call it the "Mr. Wonderful Effect". What you do is encourage her to spend time with him and to hopefully move forward with him. That gives you more time with the kids and gives her reason to want to get this over with so she can start up her life with the new guy.

It is a win/win for you as you get to spend extra time with the kids, gets her outta the house and possibly causes the process to move a little faster. The only hard part about it is sucking up your pride. If one can get over their own issues, it is a very useful tool.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerDad View Post
      The only relevance it may have, outside of getting a divorce faster, is if you encourage her spending time with him.

We call it the "Mr. Wonderful Effect". What you do is encourage her to spend time with him and to hopefully move forward with him. That gives you more time with the kids and gives her reason to want to get this over with so she can start up her life with the new guy.

It is a win/win for you as you get to spend extra time with the kids, gets her outta the house and possibly causes the process to move a little faster. The only hard part about it is sucking up your pride. If one can get over their own issues, it is a very useful tool.
      I didn't encourage but this is what happened in my case. She moved in with him and I got to keep the house without much of a fight.

Comment

I didn't bring up the cheating because of any strategy. I know it's irrelevant from a legal standpoint. As my lawyer says, it's an irritant, like a mosquito......but don't waste another minute on it.

I only bring it up because she has another vine to grab onto and this may soften her stance...

Comment

I only bring it up because she has another vine to grab onto and this may soften her stance...
          Highly unlikely and you have more important things to concentrate on.
          <!-- / message -->

Comment

Well, got my offer. What I thought.
            She expects for me to see the kids EOW and one day during the week. AND, of course pay her child support even though she makes more than me (6 figures) and spends 12 hours a day out of the house.

got an appointment with my lawyer.

So, what is my next steps ? If I disagree ? Lawyers conference ? Case conference ? Mediation ? I have heard all these terms. If this goes to court how long is that ? I am going to be in the home for months and months....

Appreciate the experience viewpoint.

What are her chances because "she is a woman"...
            Last edited by keepmovingforward; 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

You send her back a fair counter offer.

50-50 shared access, 2-2-3 model
              Joint legal
              Cs paid according to offset table guidelines and adjusted each year on Jul 1.
              Alternating holidays (for gods sake DEFINE them)
              Summer schedule, who picks weeks first and by when.
              Equalization

Then you sit on your heels and stall for 6 Months. You instruct your lawyer to not address retarded back and forth with the other side.

Read the list (its found on Divorce Information for Men and Fathers | Cordell and Cordell | DadsDivorce.com) and follow it.
              Get your valuables inventoried. Get copies of rrsps, bank statements, pay stubs, etc and lock them off premises. In a drawer at the office, safety deposit box, rent a storage unit, whatever.

Here is the single most valuable piece of advice you will ever get...

UNTIL YOU HAVE A SIGNED AGREEMENT, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LEAVE THE HOUSE.

If she tries to leave with the kids DO NOT stand in front of her, don't touch her and let her leave. But you have your lawyer file an emergency motion to have the kids returned to the marital home and for exclusive possession.

SHE can live whereever she wants, but until a final order is signed, the kids stay in the home.

Comment

As for her chances, assuming you stick to your guns and don't do anything stupid...less than zero.

If you fight for it, and don't make stupid mistakes (getting caught alone with her without your recorder running, getting suckholed into an argument) you will get 50-50.

Nbdad's rule #1

Until the ink is dry on the final order, any involvement with your ex should have fuzzy pink bunnies and glitter farting unicorns all over it.

Comment

Thanks.
                  And thanks for the link.

What is going to make her move off the "EOW I'm still living in the 1990's" crap?

Most people I talk to - mostly woman - say there is no way shes getting that. And there is no way we are going to court. It's too stupid. Long before then it will be decided in a case conference or mediation. I just don't understand all the jargon.

Guess I will be getting an education at my lawyers...

Comment

Sorry NBDad didn't see the list. Followed the link to the website and got the homepage. Couldn't find the list.
                    Please help.

Comment

THE LIST (Print It) - Divorce Forum and Child Custody Forum

Comment

Well my youngest just turned 7 and no where close to an agreement. My oldest will be 10 in November. Hopefully an agreement by then.
                        Filing for custody on my lawyers recommendation.

Seems scary. Although I am definitely 50% of their care minimum.

My lawyer is asking me to summarize why I think I am the primary caregiver. Should be easy enough. But what should I be concentrating on ?

Also, where does the process go from here ?

Thoughts / experiences would be appreciated. Thanks,

Comment

Trying to bring my wife into 2013. She's stuck in 1990's....
                          Does anyone have links to articles or websites that discuss shared parenting and 50-50?
                          Need her to read and understand today's environment in family law.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmovingforward View Post
                            Trying to bring my wife into 2013. She's stuck in 1990's....
                            Does anyone have links to articles or websites that discuss shared parenting and 50-50?
                            Need her to read and understand today's environment in family law.

Thanks.
                            I don't recommend you try to "educate" the other parent. They have to come to this realization themselves. At best, you could leave out a copy of the book "Tug of War" and hope they pick it up and read it.

You should read "the list" in more detail. If you try to "educated" the other parent they can easily twist this into it being a "controlling" act and a demonstration of the possible "violence and abuse" (Rule 24.(4) of the CLRA) and why joint custody and equal access on a 50-50 basis wouldn't be appropriate.

If the other parent starts to read the mountains of "literature" on what constitutes "emotional abuse" you are in for a long haul of nonsense. Every thing you do will be 'abusive'. You asking her to research a topic will be "controlling"... You not responding to her questions, screams, throwing a toaster at you, etc... Will be "abusive"...

Always remember that in a family law matter it is a "civil court" matter... The decision from a judge is based on the "balance of probabilities" not "beyond reasonable doubt". Often, if someone jams enough nonsense hearsay into affidavits ("throws crap at the wall") something may stick. The reason NBDad and others are recommending you have very little contact is to insure you don't provide them any crap to throw at you.

The reality is that often you can have the crap of not talking to the other parent as "abusive" behaviour. It really is often a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation. Especially when dealing with a highly conflicted person.

They will pick apart every word you say, analyze it, and try to find some fault with what your position is and your character. They can be relentless and often hire lawyers who operate in a similar negative pattern. For them, they want to prove a point and not actually "solve" problems. They wallow in conflict and some times you just have to ignore the nonsense.

Good Luck!
                            Tayken

Comment

Need some help here regarding sharing of expenses in a 50-50 arrangement.

Apparently my stbx is not really worried about the % of time with the kids. 40, 45, 50%. What she's really worried about is the cheque.

She says 50-50 and I pay her off the tables. Bear in mind, she makes 25% more than me !

She's concerned that she will get stuck with paying for all the clothes and things for the kids. Even though we have generally split these things. Roughly, she buys the clothes, I buy the hockey equipment, and pay the fees.

She was even worried about haircuts.

My lawyer suggested a joint bank account. She said no, that won't work. She is NOT exchanging receipts every month. It would be easier if I just gave her a cheque. WTF ?

I said, Why are ENTITLED to a cheque ? So I pay for the kids at my house and yours ? And your 6 figure income pays for nothing ? WOW.

This is a woman with a masters that apparently can't exchange a few expenses....

What is everyone else's experience with splitting expenses ?

If we don't get an agreement, case conference in January. Would a judge seriously tell me to pay HER ? Even at 50-50 ?

Comment

Originally posted by keepmovingforward View Post
                                Need some help here regarding sharing of expenses in a 50-50 arrangement.

Apparently my stbx is not really worried about the % of time with the kids. 40, 45, 50%. What she's really worried about is the cheque.

She says 50-50 and I pay her off the tables. Bear in mind, she makes 25% more than me !

She's concerned that she will get stuck with paying for all the clothes and things for the kids. Even though we have generally split these things. Roughly, she buys the clothes, I buy the hockey equipment, and pay the fees.

She was even worried about haircuts.

My lawyer suggested a joint bank account. She said no, that won't work. She is NOT exchanging receipts every month. It would be easier if I just gave her a cheque. WTF ?

I said, Why are ENTITLED to a cheque ? So I pay for the kids at my house and yours ? And your 6 figure income pays for nothing ? WOW.

This is a woman with a masters that apparently can't exchange a few expenses....

What is everyone else's experience with splitting expenses ?

If we don't get an agreement, case conference in January. Would a judge seriously tell me to pay HER ? Even at 50-50 ?
                                Shocking.... lol

Hopefully she put that in writing for you. If not try and get her too.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X