Child Support Payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child Support Payment

So this is my story.... I have 3 kids who use to live with me 50% of the time. 8 months ago they decided to live with their mother.. Now i have to pay 1200 a month in child support and i only make 2900 take home a month. Doesnt give me alot to live on and im falling behind on my bills. I earn 59,000 a year and my Ex earn 100,000 a year. Is there a way i can lower my child support payment. i will not make it in the next few months.

Make them revert back to 50/50. Otherwise you pay full table for two kids. $1200 seems high for your income. Are you sure you have the right tables?

Comment

i have 3 kids. One is 17 and other is 15 and the youngest is 12. At that age they can live where they would like.

Comment

You should not have over $24,000 in annual deductions/taxes from an income of $59,000. Payroll tax (EI, CPP + Fed & Ont income tax) is less than $14,000 on that income - where is the other $10,000 going?

Comment

Union dues.. benefits... Pension.. they all come off automatic.

Comment

Why did they choose to go live with her? You may want to look at that reason to see if you can encourage them to spend half time with you.

You could ask your ex about reducing cs but she will probably say no.

Your oldest will be in post secondary soon so at least you have an end in sight for that one.

There really isn’t anything else you can do except cut all your spending. Cable, internet, cell phone etc. It sucks but to be honest, there are a lot of dads that are worse off than you. My husband was on EI before we lived together and he cut all expenses. No cable or cell phone, basic internet dsl, ate at his moms house and used savings for anything else. He even fixed his roof himself to save money. Sold off a lot of his belongings.

Comment

what is the law behind that 18 years of age and post secondary?

Comment

You support your child through their first post-secondary degree/diploma (it can bo Ordered for a second one in exceptional cases). The cost of post secondary (tuition/residence/books/laptop/food etc) is added up. Sometimes it’s divided into thirds with the child responsible for 1/3 and the co-parents dividing the rest proprarionate to income, sometimes the child is expected to contribute a dollar among (like $2,000 a year) and the parents splitting the rest.

If the child lives at home past 18 while in ft school the full CS is still paid, if they move away for school the CS is then only paid for four months over the summer (often prorated for the year. If the child moves away you usually end up paying more to cover their rent and living expenses.

Comment

Interesting...following

Originally posted by tilt View Post
                  You support your child through their first post-secondary degree/diploma (it can bo Ordered for a second one in exceptional cases). The cost of post secondary (tuition/residence/books/laptop/food etc) is added up. Sometimes it’s divided into thirds with the child responsible for 1/3 and the co-parents dividing the rest proprarionate to income, sometimes the child is expected to contribute a dollar among (like $2,000 a year) and the parents splitting the rest.

If the child lives at home past 18 while in ft school the full CS is still paid, if they move away for school the CS is then only paid for four months over the summer (often prorated for the year. If the child moves away you usually end up paying more to cover their rent and living expenses.

Very similiar situation..at the time of the "interim" agreement, which was only to be 3 months...then covid shut courts down...my partner has to pay 67%, his ex the other 33%, their child nothing, and she cant get osap.

Did I mention he just applied for ei...so no clue what the heck will happen now....

Comment

Originally posted by rock2000 View Post
                    what is the law behind that 18 years of age and post secondary?

Technically the laws are in the Divorce Act and the Federal Child Support Guidelines.

A child is considered a child of the marriage if they are under 18 or unable to leave parental control due to several factors including being in school full time.

The FCSG outline post secondary as an eligible section 7 expenses.

Together those mean you are responsible for continuing to support your child through their first degree. Full table cs if they live at home or four months full table split over 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by canthisberight View Post
                      Very similiar situation..at the time of the "interim" agreement, which was only to be 3 months...then covid shut courts down...my partner has to pay 67%, his ex the other 33%, their child nothing, and she cant get osap.

Did I mention he just applied for ei...so no clue what the heck will happen now....

Their kid should be paying a third of the cost. If he has been provided with full details on kids costs and osap amounts it is easy to figure out.

As for being on EI, he can argue to lower cs immediately but will need to determine what his arrears are for 2019 and to a point 2020 based on his income.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X