Child's Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child's Passport

Hello everyone. Can someone clarify who is paying for the child's passort application in case when parents have joint custody but child resides with one parent only.

Thank you.

I would say, if the child doesn't already have one, and this is meant for an upcoming vacation, that it's part of the vacation cost then.

It would seem fair that if the other parent is approached about this, and asked, that probably both parents should split on the cost, as it could/would benefit both, for the time the passport is good for.

Comment

I paid for the passports for my children because my ex doesn't even see fit to pay child support, much less anything extra for them.

Ideally, I like dad2bandm's suggestion of it being split, especially if both parents plan on traveling internationally with the child/children.

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
        I would say, if the child doesn't already have one, and this is meant for an upcoming vacation, that it's part of the vacation cost then.

It would seem fair that if the other parent is approached about this, and asked, that probably both parents should split on the cost, as it could/would benefit both, for the time the passport is good for.
        Child had a passport that has expired. No vacation is scheduled from what one parent knows. Just curious if there is any rule(s) about this passport thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sioux View Post
          If child resides with one parent only, and that parent is receiving CS..then perhaps some of that money can be used to apply for a "child's passport", which is cheaper than an adult passport

I mean we can attempt to start dissecting what CS is supposed to cover...right?
          Yes, a child is residing with the parent who receives CS.

Comment

My partners agreement states his ex will apply for passports to keep them up to date and provide when asked.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
              My partners agreement states his ex will apply for passports to keep them up to date and provide when asked.
              It doesn't specify who pays the cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
                Child had a passport that has expired. No vacation is scheduled from what one parent knows. Just curious if there is any rule(s) about this passport thing.
                It isn't a large amount of money to worry about. If both parents are equally likely to take the children across the border, then I'd say CS should cover. If the Non custodial parent wants to the passports for a specific vacation, and you get lots of notice for said vacation, then ask for the expense to be shared or split.

My GF's ex paid for passports to take his kids to a south american country for a two week visit to the extended family.

Comment

So I guess there is no firm rules, it's kinda an agreement between the parties. What if the party that gets CS demands the other parent to pay 60% for the passport based on the bigger salary the non CS parent gets?

Comment

Originally posted by Mother View Post
                    So I guess there is no firm rules, it's kinda an agreement between the parties. What if the party that gets CS demands the other parent to pay 60% for the passport based on the bigger salary the non CS parent gets?
                    The cost is $57 for kids 15 and under. This isn't worth fighting about, if you can get your ex to share great, if not, don't sweat it.

Comment

It would likely be deemed C/S as the cost is insignificant. Clothes cost more, are used by the kids at both homes and are c/s expense.

Comment

That will be you then?
                        Pardon me????

Comment

Mother.....it doesn't matter. You are being coy here in your questions, and it's obvious what is going on. The saying you can't have your cake and eat it applies here.

Bigger salary...so what? It comes back to the same question...what do you think CS is suppose to cover when it gets awarded
                          Am I??? LOL, assumptions, assumptions. They can soooo mislead you at times and things are not as they seem to be (at times).

Let me guess: you have no idea what's really going on and I'll leave it at that for now.

Great question you've asked: "what do you think CS is suppose to cover when it gets awarded?" I am trying to get a clear answer to this question for some time now, I put internet upside down, I drilled a hole in one lawyer's brain, I posted a topic on this same forum a while ago - no one can give me the exact information with regarding what exactly is covered by the CS money?

So, what do YOU think CS is suppose to cover?

Comment

Not sure what else do I need to disclose?

Comment

Let me try again.

A child

Two parents - joint custody, child resides with parent 1 who gets CS from parent 2

Child's passport has expired, needs to be renewed for the future travels

Parent 1 (with CS) demands from parent 2 to pay 60% of the cost for thr passport renewal based on the fact that parent 2 gets bigger salary

Question: does perent 2 needs to pay for the passport? Any legal rules for this? If yes - how much (%)?

And yes, the same question again - what is covered by CS?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X