Legal Aid Fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Aid Fraud

My ex has somehow qualified for Legal aid and has been using it for the last 4 and is still using legal aid even after our 5 day trial. Her income is 3+ times what the eligibility requirements say on the legal aid website. The use of legal aid has prolonged every issue, and put me at a financial disadvantage. My ex and her Legal aid lawyer avoid, delay and drag out simple issues which makes it so difficult to resolve anything. I’ve send multiple complaints to legal aid as well as the law society and legal aid is still be used. Is there another place to contact above legal aid? Any ideas of what I can do or advice would be appreciated.

Have you registered a complaint with the ombudsman? Also might want to file a complaint with the law society too.

Comment

Keep in mind that some people access legal aid for partial assistance and set up arrangements with legal aid to pay balance. Perhaps this is why no action has been taken?... they would not be able to discuss their client's financial situation with you.

Comment

Thank you rockscan. I haven't checked out ombudsman. I will have a look.

Arabian - that's what I was wondering but IDK how even partial assistance would be justified when her earnings have been 6 figures for the last 3 years. Even if it was partial assistance its still enabling all resolution efforts.

Comment

Often legal aid lawyers have regular clients as well.

Some lawyers (my own lawyer for example) took on 1 legal aid case every year. Some people do go on to get jobs and increase their income... So you really don't know.

My ex never had legal aid lawyers but managed to stall and adjourn matters many times. Tis the nature of family law I think. Very frustrating and expensive. Often one side will drag things on with the hope that the other side runs out of money and caves into their demands.

Comment

How do you know she is receiving legal aid?

Comment

SadAndTired My ex's lawyer lets the Judge know every time we're in court that "my client is on Legal aid".

Comment

Originally posted by dad1414 View Post
                SadAndTired My ex's lawyer lets the Judge know every time we're in court that "my client is on Legal aid".

Legal aid has different branches. My cousin was on legal aid but 100% of the cost was placed as a lien against her house so she essentially has to pay legal aid back for all her services. There are some certificates where they get X amount of legal aid dollars and the rest has to be paid for by the client. I wouldn't go as far as saying your ex is 100% supported by legal aid. As mentioned many legal aid lawyers also take regular clients so it is a real possibility she has a limited legal aid certificate.

Either way it is clearly causes issues but I'm not sure who you could really report to if they deem your ex is eligible for some of their services

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dad1414 View Post
                  My ex has somehow qualified for Legal aid and has been using it for the last 4 and is still using legal aid even after our 5 day trial. Her income is 3+ times what the eligibility requirements say on the legal aid website. The use of legal aid has prolonged every issue, and put me at a financial disadvantage. My ex and her Legal aid lawyer avoid, delay and drag out simple issues which makes it so difficult to resolve anything. I’ve send multiple complaints to legal aid as well as the law society and legal aid is still be used. Is there another place to contact above legal aid? Any ideas of what I can do or advice would be appreciated.

Where have you registered complaints to? I'd like to do the same. My own lawyer was shocked my ex could change lawyers as much as she did and even qualify for trial. Would appreciate the info for the complaints as I'd like to file one. This system needs a major overhaul!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If someone was able to retain a legal aid lawyer but then subsequently didn’t qualify for years afterwards. Would the legal aid lawyer be obligated to see the case through and the client would have to pay in full at the end ?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X