50/50, Shared, joint custudy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50/50, Shared, joint custudy.

What are these and the differences?. In Alberta.

50-50 is a parenting schedule in which the kids have equal time with both parents. This has nothing to do with custody.

Family Law - Ministry of the Attorney General

Child Custody and Access

What is the difference between joint and sole custody? What about shared custody?
    • Joint custody means that both parents make major decisions about the children together.
    • Sole custody means that one parent makes all major decisions about the children.
    • Children's living arrangements can vary greatly. In some cases children maintain a primary residence with one parent and visit regularly with the other. In others the children divide their time equally or approximately equally between the parents' homes.
    • Shared custody exists when children live with each parent at least 40 per cent of the time. In these circumstances, special provisions apply to the calculation of child support, depending on the amount of time children spend with each parent.

I do have an issue with the use of the word 'custody' in the last point, when it really should say residency as the parenting schedule is separate from custody which defines decision making, not residency schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
      I do have an issue with the use of the word 'custody' in the last point, when it really should say residency as the parenting schedule is separate from custody which defines decision making, not residency schedule.
      Each province has their own *rules* for what constitutes as what. For example, in BC there is such a thing as a defined "guardianship" that has nothing to do with custody. In ON, no such thing seems to exist for the "other half parental timeshare" that garners them some rights. Not knowledgable about each other province but willing to learn.

To the OP, what province are you from?

Comment

Op states in the initial post they are in Alberta.

Comment

Yes, just noted. Thanks.

As I said, though, there are distinctions in each province so that would matter. I cannot provide any personal insight for Alberta. My opologies to the OP.

Comment

Parenting / Custody / Contact Orders (Parents - Variation Application)

Alberta appears to use the term 'guardianship' in a similar manner as 'custody'. This booklet should help clarify things a bit for you:

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/fjs/s...ianship_12.pdf

Comment

thanks. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Well motion was heard today with joint custody awarded one week on and one week. Starts next Friday. Turns out a good lawyer we'll take you places you never thought existed I'm so stoked. When I get the final copy of the orders I we'll post more info. don't give up it gets BETTER..............

Comment

Is joint custody what you sought? This has little to do with guardianship and / or designation of schedule... Do you believe you can make joint decisions with your ex about your child(ren)?

Comment

If you can, then all's on the "even" plain and all's good... week on / week off.

Comment

I just came across the manual which is for the Parenting after Separation course from Alberta Justice. Along with good sound advice there are plenty of reading recommendations at the end of the document.

https://albertacourts.ca/docs/defaul...1.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X