Work coming to and end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work coming to and end.

So just got word today we are shutting down operations until the price of oil improves which I beleive wont happen for a couple years. But my question now is how do I continue on with the divorce and all the bills when there is no money coming in. What happens now?

You fine a new job. Surely you will need to make money over the next couple of years? The divorce process doesn't stop, but you may be able to negotiate lower payments for support. If you have a mat home that you can't afford work on selling it. Hopefully you have some money set aside for unexpected expenses.

What are you expecting or hoping will happen due to your lack of employment?

Comment

Basically, yeah - you start look for a new job. You live off severance pay and pay child support from that for the time being. I would suggest you start your own business, this is your best shot from escaping a life garnishment slavery.

Comment

Yes totally understand find a new job. Its just that I well not find a job that make the same amount to pay the bills. There is no severence. just assets that I am have a hard time selling. lowered prices and nothing the mat home is lowered again today. no bites 5 months on market. I need something to sell.

Comment

File a motion to cancel child support then.

Comment

Originally posted by childrenand happy View Post
            So just got word today we are shutting down operations until the price of oil improves which I beleive wont happen for a couple years. But my question now is how do I continue on with the divorce and all the bills when there is no money coming in. What happens now?
            You'll be getting some UI for a while - they can't garnish more than 50% of that. If you can't sell the home, perhaps try renting out a room to a friend?
            Getting rid of the car, using public transportation, selling some odds and ends that you don't really need, cutting out some expenses like gym, cable ect. Hopefully you can stretch things out without getting too deep in debt.

I know all this sux and is more than stressful, but until you find another job this is the best you can do.

Have you thought about taking some classes -some gov. programs will extend your unemployment insurance while you learn a new trade?

Comment

Self employed. right now im paying her 3800 a month. Until the house sells.Then the almighty spousal support kicks in. I wish things would happen faster. and of course worse timing ever with the economy going down the tubes. Divorce, and now renting a place. Everything happens all at once. should of done this years ago. here say of course. I too got rid of my lawyer as she was so busy and got a new one hopefully things go faster.

Comment

Once your income decreases, you file a motion to decrease everything else accordingly. Your job loss is due to plant closure, not because you are deliberately under-employing yourself.

It is a material change of circumstance. You do your best to find as job a job as you can in the mean time as you will be stuck paying the larger sum until a) the ex agrees to reduce c/s and likely s/s (sorry, but I have to LOL to that. I know it is the reasonable thing for your ex to do, but yeah, we all know that isn't going to happen) or b) you get a court order for a reduced amount.

Even if you get a decent job, but still doesn't pay what you used to make, be prepared for the courts to order an imputed income higher than what you actually make. You can argue to make X, and provide evidence to reflect it, but the courts still have leeway to impute another amount.

If your ex was a reasonable person, you could try to mediate this. I'd give her offers to settle based off of your new income, once the new income is in place.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the courts deal with this. Thousands in the oil sands will be losing the big bucks and there are no equivalent jobs anymore. Plus, if oil stays low like theyre saying then this could last a while. Courts are going to have to recognize that these jobs just dont exist outside this scenario.

Comment

Exactly. I hearing it well be altleast a year. prior to oil going back up. we well see by march the true effects of all of this.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X