Tax Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Returns

Finally received my 2014 tax return. This is now my 6th appeal with Revenue Canada after being denied what's legally mine following my separation and divorce. They are persistent in attempting to deny me my rights to claim one of my children as a dependent. This attempt was based on the fact that they claim I am a support payor and therefore not entitled. I have filed the same appeal for the past 3 tax years and won all of them. They have my court orders, they have my written agreement.

The phone call from the appeals agent went like this.

"Hi xxxxxx, this is XXXXXX from the CRA appeals division. I'm calling you in regards to your appeal dated <date>. I see you're appealing the same thing you appealed last year. So what we are going to do is proceed with your claim that same way we did last year"

Me: "Thanks"

Them: "No problem, is there anything else we can help you with"

Me: "Nope, Talk again next year"

Them: "Thanks XXXXXX for your understanding"

It's pretty sad that they now know you I am and have decided to keep assigning all my appeals to the same agent.

I'm not always on the sexism train but this is seriously ridiculous. The number of times my ex has been questioned for the same claim... ZERO

Perhaps it's luck that her file doesn't get pulled... Many people (Dad's) on this board have reached out to me and told me they are in same situation so I'm doubtful that the same number of mothers get pulled for this same claim.

I've had my MP involved in the process and he told me unfortunately my file seems to have had a lot more scrutiny than most but once you get flagged it's hard to get rid of the flag. He suggested that I file my taxes by mail instead of efile and include all my paperwork. The thing is they have all my paperwork.

Anyway for all those parents (mom's or dad's) who are being wrongfully denied your claims file a formal appeal and let the process happen. If you have the write wording and do infact pay setoff child support and have your kids in a shared custody situation keep fighting, it may take time but you'll get what's owed to you.

I no longer even call one of their useless agents when I get my NOA, I just go right to the website and file my appeal, wait my 6 months then get my money with a very small amount of interest which I need to claim on my taxes.

Best of luck to you all.

The cynic in me thinks that CRA does it this way because many of the people would not bother to appeal, or give up sooner, and then they do not have to refund as much money.

I am not sure it's done to be sexist though. Canadian society still has men making more money than women, on average, so cases where a woman pays a man offset might not come up nearly as often for the CRA to deny them and force them to appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
      The cynic in me thinks that CRA does it this way because many of the people would not bother to appeal, or give up sooner, and then they do not have to refund as much money.

I am not sure it's done to be sexist though. Canadian society still has men making more money than women, on average, so cases where a woman pays a man offset might not come up nearly as often for the CRA to deny them and force them to appeal.

All very true...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You want them to stop.
        Sue them for damages.

Exemplary damages this sort of flies again SLAPP provisions....

Comment

I had the same thing for the previous two years occur for me as well. A couple months back I got that letter from them that seems to be the leadup to this. It asks you to provide a copy of all court documents, letters from school, doctors, dentists, daycare, etc, to prove that you have care of the kids. All in all an intrusive pain in the ass tasking that requires far too much time to obtain, especially considering that if they maintained proper files on us, they would see they had two copies of all of that already!!

I'd been hoping they let it go this year, but if you just had it happen then I'm guessing it will be a few months before I can consider myself safe for this year.

I deal with it in the same manner as you, just through the online appeal. I can't remember exactly what they state for processing, but it's something along the lines of 30 days before a file is created? I recommend calling after those 30 days have lapsed, and confirming that they have your appeal, as they "lost" or didn't receive mine initially last year. They had tried to claim I didn't submit it, but I had kept all the information the appeal submission provides you, and was able to stop that excuse on their part. Not that it sped anything up though! They just made me resubmit it again anyway and start from scratch.

Comment

Funny I read this yesterday and find relief that they are not bugging me again, then just now I find in my mailbox today a letter asking for proof that my child or children have been living with me since January 2013.
            I am male, with primary care and control of the children, still single, employ a full time nanny and have given all the information to them already including a court order, cfs letter, letter from daycare, etc...I feel like I am a criminal having to go ask for more documents from these people to prove my child lives with me. I guess C. Scheurer at validation and controls is justifying her job....Its almost as bad as my employer asking me for a sick note from my doctor for being sick one day in last 4 years, because in some labour law they are allowed to even though they don't pay us for sick days lol. ok enough of a rant sry, I will put together the info for cra free of charge and mind my business.
            Last time I had to send the same documents 3 times for them to give in.
            Last edited by undersc0re; 12-01-2015, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X